Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Framing a Jerkinhead Gable (clipped gable)

i am a young framing contractor from Pa. I have been framing for about seven years and have been in business myself for about 2.5 years. In this time i have never come across a jerkinhead gable before. I enjoy roof framing and would love some good ideas to get one set up. Such as how high do you know how to take the gable rafters up before creating the hip?

Default Re: Framing a Jerkinhead Gable (clipped gable)

I never heard it called that before. I call it a clipped gable. I've only done one, so the terminology could've slipped by me.
    Google gave me this
    http://www4.bfn.org/bah/a/DCTNRY/j/jerkin.html

EDITED TO ADD:
    Is it trussed?
    What Pitch are we talking?
    What does the print say?
    How tall are you?
    Can you reach the ceiling?
    Sorry, ignore the last two. ;)
    Last edited by WarriorWithWood; 08-28-2007 at 07:20 PM.
    -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

We are talking about a 15/12 pitch with a span of 34 feet, the clipped hip is also a 15/12. This house i am about to start has a very complex roof and a couple of these clipped gables. The print gives me nothing in the way of a detail on how to frame it, so any ideas would be good.

PS warrior..i am 6'2 and the ceiling height is 8-1'

this I believe is called a Snub hip in some areas

it is called many things in many areas, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by BucksPA View Post
    We are talking about a 15/12 pitch with a span of 34 feet, the clipped hip is also a 15/12. This house i am about to start has a very complex roof and a couple of these clipped gables. The print gives me nothing in the way of a detail on how to frame it, so any ideas would be good.

PS warrior..i am 6'2 and the ceiling height is 8-1'
    Do you have either one of these dimensions on the plans?

I call them Tudor Hips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Carola; 08-28-2007 at 08:28 PM.
    Joe Carola

Is it a gambrel?
    -Dennis

Can someone PLEASE invent a sarcasm font!

From what I've done, it's usually 20-25% of the total span.
    On yours, somewhere between 6'9 and 8' would look good.

Here in California carpenters call it a snub nose hip. Architects in California call it a clipped Hip. Boy, I hate stacking these snub nose hips. No where to stand on the steep pitched roofs when your stacking the snub nose hip.

Joe Carlo's picture is correct. You either need the outside span of the snub nose hips or the run from the out side plate line to
    where the hips intersect the main ride line.

Most of our plans don't give either of the two dimensions, so we just scale the plans. 90% of the time it's a 4'-0" run from the outside plate line.

15/12 ???

Good thing your a young framer with a 15 /12 pitch.
    I think the plumb cut on a 15/12 2x12 rafter is about 6'2'', you'll need a higher ceiling height than 8'-1''

Sim

Quote Originally Posted by sbebuilders View Post
    Here in California carpenters call it a snub nose hip. Architects in California call it a clipped Hip. Boy, I hate stacking these snub nose hips. No where to stand on the steep pitched roofs when your stacking the snub nose hip.

Joe Carlo's picture is correct. You either need the outside span of the snub nose hips or the run from the out side plate line to
    where the hips intersect the main ride line.

Most of our plans don't give either of the two dimensions, so we just scale the plans. 90% of the time it's a 4'-0" run from the outside plate line.

15/12 ???

Good thing your a young framer with a 15 /12 pitch.
    I think the plumb cut on a 15/12 2x12 rafter is about 6'2'', you'll need a higher ceiling height than 8'-1''

Sim
    That long plumbcut on a 15/12 rafter can work to your advantage.At the top of the rafter, measure down the height of the ridge and make a level cut for a birdsmouth.

Upsize the end common as much as you can, even if you have to z-notch the seatcut.

However far you pull in, double that to get your span.

For common (equal) pitched snub hips;

Once you know the run of the snubbed Hip’s common then standard hip roof framing math and techniques will apply to the Snub hip as if it were a stand-alone hip roof.

(Span – the ridge)/2 = effective run

Or in reverse

(Effective run x 2) + ridge = Span

Figure the knee wall height at the snub’s span by subtracting the minor effective run from the major effective run.

(Major e run – minor e run) x pitch = wall height at minor span

Hope that helps.

Thanks alot guys, very very helpful. This is gonna be a tough roof. Something new will be fun to build. Can you post pictures on this forum....All you framers out there will appreciate this roof.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksPA View Post
    Thanks alot guys, very very helpful. This is gonna be a tough roof. Something new will be fun to build. Can you post pictures on this forum....All you framers out there will appreciate this roof.
    Get a google account and set up a Picasa site. That way you can keep the pictures large enough to really see here and just point the link to the site here in the thread.

your plans should say how long the top plate is before the roof slopes each way. then u can find the run for your commons. but i have built them without any measurements to go by. in such a case all u can really do is go with what u think is best. in one case, there was a false window in the gable. so after i decided what height to put the window at, i measured from the plate line to 12 inches before the window openeing for the run of the commons, which looked great. if u have a picture to go buy then try to scale it and see if that comes out about right (which has never worked for me but who knows) and if u have absolutly nothing to go buy then try to go with a percentage of the building span or ask the general contractor or builder's opinion. hope u get it worked out.

Its been a couple of years, but here are some pictures of the snub hip I framed.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL293...8/54405201.jpg
    http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL293...8/54404009.jpg
    http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL293...8/54403997.jpg

You can see that we framed ours in a bonus room which made it easy. That roof was a 10-12 and 12-12, and I think I actually framed the snub irregular.