Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

source for speciality tools for stair building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: source for speciality tools for stair building

I used to use a 4 foot level to transfer marks (slow and still had to square over to centerline of handrail) but now I use the stanley fat max laser. Soooo much faster and more accurite. I highly recommend it.
    The only thing that remains the same is that everything changes

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Everett View Post
      I would like to back up what a couple post are saying.
      Dennis in #8-- the Coffman guide is excellant to have as a reference. And it's only like 12-- $15.
      Jeffaah in # 9--- I don't really have any bought speciality stuff, gotta have a couple of the rail wrenches ( coffman ). Most of what I have is a s**t load of me-made jigs for layout and cutting fittings, even a me-made riser / tread jig. I carry a small Delta grinder, as most of my spade bits are resized to my needs. Measure the balusters w/ a tape measure or folding rule ( w/ the slider ), drill the rail holes fliped 180, on the stairs.
      That drill guide thing may look good, but, since mostly the rake angle seems to come out to an odd # like 38 1/2 degree or something like that, setting it to be right on seems like a PITA, when you could miter a block of wood, as a guide, ( say a post cut-off ) and be drilling. But I don't drill any holes in place ( with rail mounted ), if I can help it, hate that shower of chips in my face.
      I drill all my holes in my rails with a 10'' bench-top drill press, including the rake rails. It goes fast and it's accurate, and all the holes are exactly the same depth, which is especially helpful with metal balusters. I too use spade bits that I resize with a belt sander for the drilling.
      Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

Comment

Hi Markhoni,
        I use a drill press for my landing rails, but I just haven't found a good setup for plumb drilling the stair rails. So I usually just clamp it across the tread noses upside down and hand drill. How do you do it?

BULL
        War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLHART View Post
          Hi Markhoni,
          I use a drill press for my landing rails, but I just haven't found a good setup for plumb drilling the stair rails. So I usually just clamp it across the tread noses upside down and hand drill. How do you do it?

BULL
          I cut a piece of scrap 1x2 at the angle of the steps, say 36 degrees, then tilt the table on the press holding the angled block parralell with the drill bit to get the angle just right. then I lay the drill press over sideways and lean it on a t-stick jig with a birdsmouth cut in the top of it so the table is close to level and the press is leaning at the 36 degrees, with the shaft handle pointing up. Set up a couple roller stands on either side and drill the holes out.

I used to hand drill, but got real tired of the balusters trying to go off at the wierd angles I was drilling.
          Mark

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say, "If I had a dollar for every time....", I'd be a rich man.

Comment

If you are looking for a stair tread jig, look on amazon.com. Or look at a flooring (hardwood) supplier. I have one, it is made by Wheaton. It is made of hardwood, and works well.

Comment

test, this is only a test, do not adjust your set...
              Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
              Website - Facebook

Comment

I use a radial drill press with spade bits to drill the rail. The rail stays flat on the table so it's easy to support while the rake angle is created by tilting the drill head. Makes it easy to drill all to the same depth and at a consistent angle. The balusters are much easier to install when the holes are consistent.

Like many others I lay out with a lazer and measure with folding rule.
                -Leo

Comment

Originally posted by Appletree View Post
                  I use a radial drill press with spade bits to drill the rail. The rail stays flat on the table so it's easy to support while the rake angle is created by tilting the drill head. Makes it easy to drill all to the same depth and at a consistent angle. The balusters are much easier to install when the holes are consistent.

Like many others I lay out with a lazer and measure with folding rule.
                  -Leo
                  I had been thinking of getting one of those radial head drill presses for handrails, glad to hear ya like it.

Comment

Ohhh that sounds nice, Ive never seen a radial drill press...would be perfect

BULL
                    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Comment

Somebody got link to a radial drillpress?
                      Mark

Comment

http://amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

I've never seen one either, but I'm getting one now.
                        Last edited by Brady T.; 09-10-2007, 07:18 PM. Reason: Superfluous spelling errors
                        Honk if you hate pocket doors.

Comment

I read a review on the Grizzly model. It said that it weighed about 100 lbs.
                          I think I'll stick with my 50 lb. regular benchtop press. I just tilt the whole press over so the rail lays flat.
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X