Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Can 4" alum. dryer vent go inside an interior wall.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can 4" alum. dryer vent go inside an interior wall.

Am living in red deer alberta Canada. Wondering if (in terms of code and safety etc.) an aluminum dryer vent pipe can go inside a standard interior wall with drywall on ea. side. The dryer is on an interior bsment wall rather than the exterior in a furnace room. ALthough the pipe would have to be squished in, am wondering if it would generate too much heat etc. SHould I switch to the plastic flexible hose? an suggestions for a aesthetically pleasing way to run the hose on the exterior of a wall or how to get the vent pipe to the underside of the floor joists (which are going to be drywalled) and have it look nice?
    I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma. ~Eartha Kitt

Re: Can 4" alum. dryer vent go inside an interior wall.

Depends on how thick the wall is - if it's framed with 2x6, you're good - but if it's 2x4, you only have 3 5/8", so no - unless you use a dryer box and the correct fittings to go 3 x6 oval inside the wall.

If that doesn't make sense, scan through these:

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35529

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22171

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24828

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21774

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21725
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

Your problem is not heat, it's volume/capacity of the duct. If you use rigid 4" duct, squishing a bit shouldn't be a problem IF you do the calculations for the length of the run and reduce the result to allow for the reduced cross-section. Don't forget to increase the theoretical run for the bends. Sounds like you will have at least two.
      Flex should only be used for the hook-up from the dryer to the duct

Comment

That's how it's done here with no problems

Comment

Could also go to a 3-1/4" x 10" in the wall and convert with a square to round adapter. 90s, swing els and straight adapters are available.

HomeyDoppy has a limited selection. But a real sheet metal fab. shop will often times stock these items for the HVAC guys.

Plastic flexable hose is an absolute no no in the walls.
          Squabble for days, but if you put plastic hose in the wall I will absolutely talk about you.

JKD,
          Not all AHJ (in our area) let you use thermofin(aluminum flex pipe) in the walls for dryer exhaust. The ribbed sides will grab lint deeper within the walls and be very prone to clogs. This material would be typically used for bath fan exhaust only.

Rigid pipe (28 ga. or better) for grease laden vapors and dryer exhaust. No screws. Foil tape only.
          Then the flexible material as a tie in.

Or not.

Comment

LT
            My anwser was in response to if he put it in the wall than would he be burning the house down which I think was his concern. Not if it would clog up.
            Is it the best way? I don't know probabaly not, I'm not a hvac guy but I've seen a million tract homes (including mine) done this way.

Comment

If you put it in the wall, it must be solid ducting and seams fully sealed. If not, you will introduce moisture in the cavity and promote mold and rot. Or, it it gets clogged you will waste energy and possibly cause a fire.

The usual process is short runs through walls, the rest exposed. This requires planning in the design of the home. Many people will have it run in walls, but that does not mean it is a good idea.

Regardless of how you run it, keep it as short as possible so as not to tax the dryer. The really dry more efficiently with short smooth interior surface runs.

Comment

Cheers JKD,
                I don't get in to Dade County any more.

Truely the best case would be a typical dryer cap through an exterior wall.

Just letting you know that if you made your way up to Broward or palm Beach Counties, You'd be tearing out anything other than what I have mentioned. And you would not be able to use any more than 2- 90s.
                Times have changed.

Kgphoto's recommendation is on target.

Comment

Dryer vents do not have clearance requirements like water heater vents. So, I would not worry. Besides, there are dryer vent boxes designed specifically for 4" vents coming from 2x4 walls. I would not shift between round and 3.25x10. The change in diameters (especially from the smaller to bigger) might create dead spots in the duct system and the lint may be trapped there.

Comment

Actually they make a telescopic version. Round at the bottom where it goes into the wall, then rectangular in the wall which is telescopic (adjustable height) then back to round where it goes outside. I think they sell them at HD.

roger

Comment

Hi all-

I realize I'm trying to resurrect an old thread, but I was hoping that someone could point me to a specific product, or something specific to ask for at my local HVAC store.

I'm a DIYer amidst a remodel and I would like to run the ductwork for my dryer vent through a 2x4 wall. I know that I shouldn't squish the standard 4" round, but rather look for a 3x6 rectangle or oval or 3x10 rectangle with some sort of telescoping transition.

I would really appreciate some specific direction (other than hiring a local HVAC guy) :)

Thanks,
                      Chris

Comment

Try ordering from Gensco.
                        Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                        Website - Facebook

Comment

Check these guys also: http://www.dryerbox.com/welcome_dryerbox.htm

-Norm

Comment

One caution. My client hooked his up with the flexible aluminum pipe. His dryer wouldn't turn on. It has an sensor that shuts off the machine if it senses an air blockage or too high a pressure in the exhaust line. If your dryer is fairly new and won't turn on this could be why. Stay away form the flexable lines metal or other wise. The white plastic stuff is illegal around here now. Caused too many fires.

Comment

Originally posted by lockhart76 View Post
                              Am living in red deer alberta Canada. Wondering if (in terms of code and safety etc.) an aluminum dryer vent pipe can go inside a standard interior wall with drywall on ea. side. The dryer is on an interior bsment wall rather than the exterior in a furnace room. ALthough the pipe would have to be squished in, am wondering if it would generate too much heat etc. SHould I switch to the plastic flexible hose? an suggestions for a aesthetically pleasing way to run the hose on the exterior of a wall or how to get the vent pipe to the underside of the floor joists (which are going to be drywalled) and have it look nice?
                              Is the wall open now ? If not you probably have to open it up to insall the pipe anyway. Is there room to fir the entire wall 3/4'' install the pipe and sheerock it ? Then you wouldn't have to crush the pipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X