Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's the latest you're using for a shower ceiling?

Wondering what everybody is using lately, as I am leary of 5/8" greenboard, and not really sure if code compliant.

I will ask the inspector at framing inspection time, but wanted to gather some info.

I searched, but not much as of this year.

Thanks,

RJC
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with quality.

Default Re: What's the latest you're using for a shower ceiling?

I now use purple board. I think its National Gypsum xp or something like that.
    Geoff

GP DensArmor Plus.

You will need to skim it with setting compound, but it's bombproof.

I use the densarmor for shower walls and purple board for the rest of the bathroom because its smoother. I usually do the whole ceiling with the purple board.
    Geoff

Green board is only to be used 12" oc per USG on ceilings, green board is starting to be phased out in alot of places around here. At HD here in NH green board is about .50 cents more per sheet than DAP. National Gyp. XP is more than enough in an above grade bathroom on walls and ceilings IMO. GP Dens Armor Plus would a wise choice for any basement and an upgrade in a bathroom, remember it needs to be skimmed so there is extra labor.

Greg-

Could you use DAP as a tile backer around a tub/shower?
    "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike from NH View Post
    Greg-

Could you use DAP as a tile backer around a tub/shower?
    If you were the kind of person who would use greenboard, then yes, I suppose DAP would be an upgrade. But I would never use greenboard, so I use Denshield in the wet areas.

Quote Originally Posted by US Gypsum's Website
    Features and Benefits
    SHEETROCK® Brand Water-Resistant Gypsum Panels are low-cost, moisture-resistant gypsum panels for areas subject to incidental moisture exposure. (Do not use in tub and shower surrounds; use DUROCK® Brand Cement Board for these applications). Made with moisture-resistant gypsum core and 100% recycled, moisture-resistant face and back papers.
    US Gypsum Greenboard
    Last edited by RMcSlash; 05-16-2007 at 01:44 PM.
    RMc____

I'm not type of guy that would half ass anything I do, nor would I go over board which is why I asked the question. I have seen a alot of green board used as a tile backer which is half ass. But I know DAP is pretty tough stuff didn't know if it was a accetable alturnative to durorock or hardi-board.
    "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike from NH View Post
    I'm not type of guy that would half ass anything I do, nor would I go over board which is why I asked the question. I have seen a alot of green board used as a tile backer which is half ass. But I know DAP is pretty tough stuff didn't know if it was a accetable alturnative to durorock or hardi-board.
    Mike, I guess I didn't phrase my reply right. I didn't mean to insinuate that YOU would use greenboard personally, I meant "you" as in "in general".

I can tell you that tile bonds to the stuff well even when submerged (recent basement job got flooded out).

MR board (green board) was originally made as a tile backer.
    MikefromNH is correct when he stated that USG does not recommend its use on ceilings unless framed at least 12"oc.

More important than the use of MR board is the type of paint used and proper ventilation.

My guess is that they make a type X 5/8 MR board that does have a half hour burn time and is code compliant. I'll make a call this morning to affirm.
    Last edited by Mike Gill; 05-17-2007 at 06:29 AM.

RJ,

Type X, 5/8 MR board with a half hour burn time is available.

USG no longer approves Green Board as a backer for tile in wet areas.

IF you cover it with a surface applied membrane, Kerdi, Redguard, etc., then it will still work. Ceiling framing needs to be 12 inches on center.

However, if you are using a surface applied membrane, you don't need green board so save your money.

Wow this is all a little confusing to me. Im a quality taper in the bay area, sunny california and code here calls for greenboard in shower areas.Then the tile guys apply a hardy back over our rock and then tile. Ceilings get regular rock. Must be because of the climate difference. If i were u i would get advice from someone in your area.
    Last edited by Taper4life; 05-17-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Met with the framing inspector today, and showed him in our drywall stack the 5/8" fire code, green board, and he said it was fine to use on the shower ceiling.

I then asked him about the "purple" xp board, and he looked at me as if I was from Mars!

So, I guess I will use it, tape it with a setting compound, and caution my clients painter to use an appropriate product for priming and finish coats.

Thanks for your replies,

RJC
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with quality.

Taper4life,

While Code, which hasn't been updated in years still allows greenboard in its prescriptive section, it also has a notation that says if there are two parts of the code in conflict, the most restrictive governs. There is a code section that prohibits using materials not consistent with the manufacturers guidelines.

So while code is lagging behind, you would do a better job, not using green board as there are other, better options available.