Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Wavy Shingles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wavy Shingles

Hi every one.

I have a siding job where I have to install 18” cedar shingles with wavy pattern at the gable end. I am thinking of laying the shingles on the ground drawing my pattern over them cutting the pattern with band saw and then installing them in sequence. Any one has a better idea?

Re: Wavy Shingles

Perso, you may want to add who you are, where and what you do to your profile. People like to know who you are.
    Ron

Keep it simple, stupid.

Comment

Check the cedar shingle bureau web site.
      Two roads diverged in a narrow wood. I took the path less traveled.
      http://renov8u2.com
      http://reverbnation.com/cortezthekillers

Comment

I've never done it so I can't help you on the technique but click the "research" tab above and type "cedar shingle patterns" in the search box. A bunch of JLC articles come up that might help.

-Norm

Comment

can you cut with a router after install with a pattern bit

Comment

Unless you have a really tight radius you probably don't need to cut the radius into the individual shingles.

It's more a matter of tapering the shingles so you can run the pattern

Do you have any more details- or a sketch of what you are trying to achieve
            Mike

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it. -P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Originally posted by Perso Builder View Post
              Hi every one.

I have a siding job where I have to install 18” cedar shingles with wavy pattern at the gable end. I am thinking of laying the shingles on the ground drawing my pattern over them cutting the pattern with band saw and then installing them in sequence. Any one has a better idea?
              I've done exactly as you describe. Lay the shingles on the bench with the butts aligned. Use a straightedge to draw a line right across all of them, up where it will be covered--you use this line to re-align them on the wall. Number them in order, so you can nail them up in order. Draw your pattern, cut them with a jigsaw, then nail them up. It may be helpful to clamp them to the bench with a long board and some clamps while drawing the pattern.

There's some of this on one wall of my house... I could shoot a pic tomorrow. Did it as an experiment, just for fun, but didn't do enough for real effect.
              Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
              Website - Facebook

Comment

David M.
                Thanks for the tip on drawing the line. I probably need this line to keep the reveal for each shingle the same. What did you use as your template to draw the wavy line? A picture would be nice if it is easy enough.

Comment

Here's a photo. On the first couple areas I did I spent the time to draw a wavy line and then cut it with the jigsaw. After about twice like that I just cut it freehand with no line. If I were doing a LOT of this I would probably just cut a whole sh!tload of shingles with curved butts, take them to the wall, and then compose the curves on the fly by nailing them up to make them look good. When you have courses above that also have curves you need to make them work together. A guy with a few hundred shingles precut could work quickly and make it look good.

If you search the web you might find some photos by a guy named Roger "Crash" Dumas. Lots of shingle art...
                  Attached Files
                  Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                  Website - Facebook

Comment

There is an awesome shingled building in Kennebunk, Maine. All three visible sides of the builing are shingled in a way that gives the impression of a three dimensional image. I should be down there soon, I will try to take pictures. I love that place!

Dustin

Comment

Dave M.

That is it. I have to do two gable ends with wavy patterns. The patterns are shown regular on the print and run the whole length of the gable for few curses of shingles. I will develop the pattern get it approved and cut and number them and then send them up there to be nailed.

Comment

Here's another photo of some wavy shingles...
                        Attached Files
                        “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
                        Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

Working...
                        X