Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Best Brand of Dump Trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Brand of Dump Trailer?

I am seriously looking into picking up a 6x10 low profile trailer within the next 2 weeks or so. I've actually seen a Bri-Mar in person, and another shop I visited is pushing the Cross Country brand but they don't stock them. Similarly, I have seen the website for Haulmark but can't find one locally yet. There's also Can-Am which is supposed to be the lead guy from Bri-Mar on his own.

The hard pricing I got for the BriMar 6x10 10K weight with standard door was $5439.50 including tax and battery (and maybe the tarp-I don't remember). I would still need to add the brake controller and installation which is about $200.

First off, how does that price sound? There aren't too many places that sell these things and I don't want to drive around the world if I'm only going to save $100.

Secondly, are there any brands to avoid or ones that you prefer for one reason or another? Are there any features that are BS and some you need other than powered lower?
    Your source for:
    Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
    Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
    Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
    Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Re: Best Brand of Dump Trailer?

I have a PJ Trailer http://www.pj-trailers.com/ I've been happy with it and it's held up well. I see Bri-Mars everywhere so they must be doing something right.

My take on the low profile was mixed...it's better if it's doubling as an equipment hauler due to the lower center of gravity but it doesn't get as steep of a dump angle which makes for a good time pulling crap out by hand when the load inevitably hangs up.

The dump controller should either be a wireless or corded remote with enough slack to get you several feet away when dumping...I had a link to a dump trailer accident website but can't find it. Sobering pics.

Your price sounds ok, not a great deal but probably fair. I know in the Want Ads around here you can always find year old dumpers for about $1000 less than new but they sell quick. Might be worth a quick look.

Anything you could possibly want to know about trailers can be found here, lots of opinions and lots of good info too; http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/t...ransportation/

-Norm

Comment

Heres a photo of my dump r roo, its a 6x10 7000#. with the sides on and shingles to the top (heaviest load i'd ever have) I was at 5400# of load and it towed fine. Maxi Dump makes them, they're a wisconsin company and they dont cost much but I dont know if they're available where you are. Only thing I dont like is messing with the tarp/ratchets I rigged up. A tarp roller would be choice but I think you can buy those seperate, or make one. The trailer behind it is a PJ, they make good trailers but seem to be on the high side dollar wise. I've never seen a Bri Mar so it must be a location thing.
      Travis
      Attached Files
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell

wausaubuilder.com

Comment

I've been looking at these for year's on jobsite's. I've needed one on every remodel I've done. Kinda eyeing one myself. Haven't decided if Im going with a box trailor or dump trailor yet. I need both.The nicest dump trailor I see are the dandy dumps.
        My forum signature

Comment

Greg- Try this place in Ledgewood Traileroutlet.com They have a lot in stock and are right off Rt 80. I looked at their trailers before getting mine. I have a PJ trailer.

bob

Comment

I have a 5x10 ,better for narrow roads and a lot simpler to tow .But my advice get the 16" rims ,the 15 do not have very much braking ability . Acturally bent my axel also . l bought it from an undepentent yard.come to think about it ,wonder if they say how much they dump? might compare that figure .

Comment

Originally posted by bobkni View Post
              Greg- Try this place in Ledgewood Traileroutlet.com They have a lot in stock and are right off Rt 80. I looked at their trailers before getting mine. I have a PJ trailer.

bob
              Bob, thanks for the lead. I dove out there today and met with the owner who was the most knowledgeable guy I've run into yet at a trailer dealership. He even hooked up a battery to show me how it worked.

He carries Downeasters and they seem to be better fabricated with smoother welds than the BriMars. I can get a Downeaster 6x10 10k for under $5200 out the door including all the wiring from him.

I am sitting here comparing the Bri-Mar specs to the Downeaster specs and the trailers are pretty similar, but the Bri-Mars appear on paper to be more heavy duty. For instance their frame is 6" where the Downeaster is 5" and their deck is 10 gauge whereas the DE is 12 gauge. It's kind of like splitting hairs I keep telling myself. This thing's sole purpose is to haul garbage and I'm wondering if I'm putting too much debate into it. Both will work and get the job done, but the BriMar is about $400 more expensive.

I can't find PJ trailers anywhere local. Apparently, they are made in TX, so the freight getting them up here is getting expensive--around $600 per trailer so dealers are going to brands made closer.

I don't know...
              Your source for:
              Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor

Comment

greg,
                is all you want to haul rubbish? if so then you probably don't need 10K and the lighter duty down easter will do you fine, otherwise go with the more heavy duty one. the first time you use it to move a bob cat for digging sono tube holes or get a scoop of large rocks dumped in the back you will be glad you did. also wire the break controller your self you can get one for sub $100 and it takes about 15 minutes maybe less to install. my truck came pre wired there was a jumper in the glove box just splice 3 wires and plug it in

Lou

Comment

Greg, I have the 7000 lb Bri-mar and it works great. I bought mine 18 months ago and paid $3660. Battery and taxes were extra. Bri-mar makes the same one with 44" (I think) steel sides. That would be the way to go if its not too much extra.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLou80 View Post
                    greg,
                    is all you want to haul rubbish? if so then you probably don't need 10K and the lighter duty down easter will do you fine, otherwise go with the more heavy duty one. the first time you use it to move a bob cat for digging sono tube holes or get a scoop of large rocks dumped in the back you will be glad you did. also wire the break controller your self you can get one for sub $100 and it takes about 15 minutes maybe less to install. my truck came pre wired there was a jumper in the glove box just splice 3 wires and plug it in

Lou
                    Lou,

I was looking at the 7k, but the 10k is only $425 more and I figured it's better to have more capacity than less, however 4 tons of bathroom is a lot of bathroom! I doubt I'll ever hit the 10k ceiling, but you never know what life deals you. The resale value might be better on the 10k too.

As far as the high sides go, I'll probably just build pt sides from 2x and 5/4 from the get go. it's lighter than steel and certainly cheaper than the prefab options.

The only bad thing about the BriMar and the Downeaster is that they both come standard with spreader gates. The barn doors are about a $500 option on both. The BriMar gate is really heavy and would be hard to reattach with one guy (I think...I didn't try it). I tried taking off the DE gate and it was pretty easy and I was able to reattach it quickly by myself.

The tarp cover option seems to me like a giant snow-job on all of the brands. They want between $250-$300 for the option and it seems to be something I'd like to have, but I can also buy a blue tarp for $20 and some rubber straps and have the same thing...I think...
                    Your source for:

Comment

A blue tarp and some bungees is not even close to what a tarp system would be. Covering the trailer and making sure stuff wont be flying out is the biggest hassle of doing this yourself unless you plan on staying under 30 mph.
                      Travis
                      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell

wausaubuilder.com

Comment

I've had 2 Bri-Mars, both 6 X 10, one low and one high. The higher model can fit into tighter spaces. They rust really quick. I would consider an aluminum one if the price was reasonable. The biggest downside to a dump trailer is YOU have to drive to the dump or the transfer station and drive over nails and crap to dump the load. I sold mine after about 8 years and just add the rent of a dumpster to the price of the jobs. It's so much easier!

Comment

So what prompted you to answer an 8-yr old thread?

Comment

It was on my feed as recent. I never looked at the date.

Comment

A ghost post which doesn't show up revived the thread. Just one more glitch in the new system.

Comment

Working...
                              X