Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default ZIP Roof & Wall System

Gathering information and quotes to use Huber ZIP roof and ZIp wall exterior sheathing system on 3000 home to be built in Eastern PA. Looking for others that have had any experience with this product.

Thanks,
    John
    John Giuliani
    EPStructures Inc.

Default Re: ZIP Roof & Wall System

John,

Try the Breaktime forum at Finehomebuilding also. There were a few guys over there who it seems posted some info. We can't get it out here, but I did get a sample of the wall system. Have you seen it?

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL293.../210304541.jpg

Thanks Tim,

Huber send me a few samples and so far I like the system. I was hoping to see a home in the area with the system installed but not many people using it yet. The roof system has been approved for use in this area but they just approved the wall system this month.

Thanks again,

John
    John Giuliani
    EPStructures Inc.

Hi John, i am using these products on my own home...

Reason's being: i'm constructing this house solo

And the zip system roof & wall material are made up w/ the same type resins/glue as Huber's advantech T&G flooring,

Making it highly water resistant...which is very important when it is going to be exposed to the elements for prolonged periods of time

On top of that it has the outer skin 'moisture barrier" in place so as you do not necessarily have to apply house wrap or roofing felt...... ie. the zip tape was very easy to apply compared to traditional felt or wrap.

I left some scrap pieces laying around the yard and unlike osb i cannot see any deterioration after being wet many times

This roof sheathing has been installed for almost 60 days and i have not noticed any leaks what so ever after many rains.

wall sheathing cost was $10.99 per sheet

roof sheathing cost was $14.99 per sheet

tape $33.00 per roll
    Attached Images Attached Images

"wall sheathing cost was $10.99 per sheet

roof sheathing cost was $14.99 per sheet

tape $33.00 per roll"

We need to raise our prices.

Eps- are you a the guy on the roof, or the guy odering the mat.? The reason I ask is the guy on the roof will curse that stuff every minute. It chips horribly when you cut it and these little projectile's have a way of embeding themselves into your face, it mine as well be a sheet of tyvek on a pitch because it is very very splippery. However once its down and I'm off the roof, I love it. It allows you peace of mind because it really really holds water.
    We recently did a job 40x70 flat roof house, tore the flat, put truss's and zip ply down. As the roofer's followed us we hit rain one nite, stayed really dry on the inside. One other thing we noticed is when it sits on a roof for a long time, the orange bleeds down onto all your freshly finished exterior trim, dont ask me how I know...

The roof product is OK, but the biggest problem with the wall product was (I think) posted by an architect on the building science forum: You can't integrate the WRB with doors and windows!