Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default mold in joint compound

Has anyone else had this problem?
    I'm a finish carp, and don't use joint compound on a regular basis. But the last two buckets of +3 ended up getting moldy after sitting around for a month or so. Both were opened, and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 empty. I seal them up, and store them in my basement.The first bucket I threw out when I saw the mold , and I bought the second one, thinking that the mold in the first one was a fluke.
    Today I opened the 2nd bucket for a patch in my own house to see a layer of green mold on top.
    I've had part buckets of compound sit around for months without getting moldy. Did USG change the formula somehow?
    And how can I keep any new mud from getting moldy? I know that a bucket of mud isn't all that expensive, but I dislike wasting materials. Will mixing in some bleach affect the compound, and keep the mold from growing?

Thanks, Bob

Default Re: mold in joint compound

Bob;

Go to the USG website. I was looking at it the other day and it has info on storage and mold. If I remember correctly, it said if it has mold, to throw it away.
    www.usg.com
    Click on construction handbook.
    Tom

Support your country always, support your government only when they deserve it! - Mark Twain
    This fall, fire them all, DON'T RE-ELECT ANYONE!

I have a friend that had me tape a closet for him about 3 yrs ago. He had an old bucket of USG green lid in his basement that was I would say 10 yrs old, it didnt have the current label on the bucket it was that old!. It was about 2/3 of a bucket, no mold so we used it. No problems reported yet, it has been 3 years now. So good chance the formula has changed, like removal of a mold additive that was always in it to then come out with a new mud with a mold additive and charge extra for it?
    "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

That's what I was thinking.
    I've been in this business over 30 years, and its just these last 2 buckets that I've had problems with.
    It looks like I'll be wasting a lot of joint compound in the future. I'm going to have to start using setting compound again.

I will dump a little bleach in it, mix and go with it, it does not take much. I don't know if this is right or not but I don't like wasting materials either. Usually we get into a mold situation in the warm summer months with the stuff sitting in the back of the box truck. Sometimes I will forget about a mix of orange peel and it will get soupy black with a mother floating on top of it, that stuff gets pitched. Good luck, Ed.

www.themudmasters.com
    cherish yesterday-dream tomorrow-live today

Hey Bob. I've been essentially rebuilding my house for the past few years due to damagd caused by a roof leak and also a poor attempt by a former owner to finish the basement. The secret for keeping your compound mold free is so easy you will probably kick yourself for not thinking of it.
    Take a sheet of cling wrap and press it down firmly on top of the compound, making sure to get the bigger air bubbles out. I've found this to be a perfect solution so far. When you want to use it again, pull off the plastic wrap [some compound will come with it but that's okay], fold it up and toss it. I use a fresh piece of plastic wrap each time I reseal the bucket.
    Good Luck!!!

I don't think they changed the formula. I've seen mold form in old half-buckets, 10-15 years ago.

I was taught, when you close up a bucket of mud for a long time, to pour a little water on top of the compound first. Not a lot, just enough to cover the surface, to avoid getting a crust or little ****z when you re-open it. A capful or two of bleach, mixed into that water, prevents any mold growth.

Nowadays I just use setting, so it's a non-issue.
    Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

I add a little bleach and use it...smells good, peace Ed.

www.themudmasters.com
    cherish yesterday-dream tomorrow-live today

I'm sure everyday there trying to find cheaper products/chemicals to make a less expensive formula to save money. Look at Coca Cola, they changed their formula so many times to save a few bucks.

I see that Ruud Dawg recommends placing plastic wrap on the surface of unused mud. I've been doing that for years with success. However, I recently opened a USG Green Cover that was half used. The mud is probably five years old. Upon opening, the inside surfaces of the bucket was a petri dish of black mold. The covered mud showed black spots of mold. The mud has been stored in a cool dry basement. Having stored mud in this manner for the past forty years without a problem, I'm tending to think that the formula has changed. BTW, the mud was still of good consistency, but black mold, not in my house!