Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Pour basement floor before framing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pour basement floor before framing?

I'm curious to know how many of you pour your flatwork before you begin framing versus waiting until you have the shell up. (I see more and more basement floors poured before any framing starts.)

Re: Pour basement floor before framing?

While occasionally we'll pour after the framing, 95% of the time basement flatwork goes in before any framing. Most everyone around here is the same way.
    -----------------------------
    Dustin Wyatt
    -----------------------------

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Comment

It depends on the weather and the subs schedules. If you are reasonably sure you can get your flatwork done safely and the trades scheduled it's easier to do before framing. If you have to heat or it's the rainy reason or you can't get the trades in then you do your flatwork after the roof is on.

Comment

A few issues.

Anytime the slab is done after the framing, UNLESS you have a few removeable desk sheets, the concrete sub wets the hell out of the concrete to make it self-leveling, and the slab shrinks and cracks. Basically a pis.poor job.

Sometimes they pump, by who pays for it?

Also, typically the code requires the slab in place, and/or the floor deck on BEFORE backfilling!! Dam. I didn't know that!!! Well, lets' face it, most of us probably don't do that and get it somewhat backfilled so the framers can walk up to the building. You know, they make 2x walkways all over the ceiling framing in order to frame roofs, but heaven forbid they would have to place two planks to the foundation wall so they could get on it!!
        Take Care

Jim

Comment

I have done it but if you have any posts under beams, you need to box out a space for them over their footings.
          What I like to do is set any beams that need posts first and then pour. That way you have a nice easy pour and you don't have to go back later and fill around posts.

Comment

Originally posted by James Eggert View Post
            A few issues.

Anytime the slab is done after the framing, UNLESS you have a few removeable desk sheets, the concrete sub wets the hell out of the concrete to make it self-leveling, and the slab shrinks and cracks. Basically a pis.poor job.

Sometimes they pump, by who pays for it?

Also, typically the code requires the slab in place, and/or the floor deck on BEFORE backfilling!! Dam. I didn't know that!!! Well, lets' face it, most of us probably don't do that and get it somewhat backfilled so the framers can walk up to the building. You know, they make 2x walkways all over the ceiling framing in order to frame roofs, but heaven forbid they would have to place two planks to the foundation wall so they could get on it!!
            Basements are usually pumped in around here. No way a heavy mixer truck can get around through a muddy yard. Sometimes before,sometimes after framing.

"Backfilling?" What's that? Usually still have ditches and/or protruding rebar stakes when we're there. Nothing like taking a fall of a 15-20 ft high basement wall ,hoping ya don't get it.

Yeah, poor framers.

Comment

A few issues.
              a few? :-)

You know, they make 2x walkways all over the ceiling framing in order to frame roofs, but heaven forbid they would have to place two planks to the foundation wall so they could get on it!!
              If we are still talking about basements, it doesn't seem really safe to me to put planks up to the walls and walk around on the wall, layout nice and square, do a good job on the mudsill, roll joists, etc.. But that isn't a big deal for framers right? They are the toughest guys on the site :-) Just ask us.
              www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
              http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

A few issues
                Also, typically the code requires the slab in place, and/or the floor deck on BEFORE backfilling!! Dam. I didn't know that!!
                Technically you're supposed to let the concrete cure first for a couple weeks also. Probably aren't many people doing that.
                I never backfill without Footlock bracing in place--I trust it as much as the cap for strength. But my flatwork sub gets a nice floor done regardless--he just happened to tell me more and more people are pouring it out before framing.

Comment

We get the garage floors & basement floors poured before framing always, unless its over the winter, in which case we wait on flat until it's dried in & can be heated.
                  -----------------------------------------------------
                  "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
                  Cluelessness: There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Working...
                  X