Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Calculating crown molding angles

Is there a formula to calculate the plumb and miter cuts on outside crown corners from the step angle of the crown?

In his book, Gary uses a Bosch tool to figure this out; I do not have said tool.

Thanks

Default Re: Calculating crown molding angles

Buy this book:
    http://www.compoundmiter.com/

From them you can also purchase their "true angle" tool which will give you accurate inside and outside angles. Their true angle tools are plastic, but will get you started.

You should eventually upgrade to a Starrett Protractor, which you can get below:

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-505A-...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi
    Last edited by MiterMaster; 12-15-2006 at 03:04 PM.

"I cannot teach anyone anything; I can only make them think." - Socrates

Get said tool. It's well worth it. The 2 seconds that you have that thing in your hand saves losing your hair by scratching your head like me. I waited and waited and thought and thought and finally got it a few weeks ago. It's one of those tools that when you need it the expense is an afterthought.
    Just riding down the road throwing chicken bones out.

San Marcos, CA (Northern San Diego County)

I run a lot of crown, use the Bosch Angle Finder, and also the plastic angle finder previously mentioned (they come in at least 3 sizes, the longer length you can use, the better), along with a Miter/Bevel chart. I insist on extra material, so can make up samples into each corner, long enough to obviate the hump of drywall mud in the corner.........................steve

Any reason you are not cutting the crown at angle? You understand that if you simply install crown stops and stand your crown against the fence and the base then you cut a 45 degree angle everytime (if you cope) or within one or two degrees if you don't.

-Allon

Big crown or small saw?

This http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12201

and the small starrett have replaced my BAF. It never comes out of the van anymore.
    Greg.

You can find the angle of a wall corner with just a bevel square and using the angle scale on you miter saw. This link shows the process. http://www.josephfusco.org/Articles/...wnscript.html#

Granted that this might not be as nifty as BAF or some other gadget but it will be just as effective. If you know for sure that your crown is a 52/38° or a 45/45° you can just download a chart from the web. Here is one: http://www.josephfusco.org/Articles/...rownChart.html

If you are using a crown with some other angle than you can always use one of the many online calculators to figure the miter and bevel cuts:
    http://www.josephfusco.org/Articles/...ownscript.html

You could also just plug the numbers into any scientific calculator using this formula:
    miter = tan-1(( sin(crown angle) / tan( wall angle / 2 ))) for any angle of crown or wall.
    bevel = sin-1(cos(crown angle) * cos( wall angle / 2)) for any angle of crown or wall.

Joe,
    Great info. On the math for figuring crown angles. I've always carried a small cheater card in my truck for bevel and miter angles derived from the spring angle. But I am always more comfortable knowing where the numbers come from My reg. calculater is long lost. do you know what the equivalent sequence would be on a construction master?
    Thanks a bunch
    Andy

BTW if anyone is interested in a great book on understanding trig on the job look for Math To Build On, A book for those who build.
    by Johnny and Margaret Hamilton. Invaluable

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I can work my way through the formula until I feel the cost of the Bosch tool is cost effective.

Amazon users gave the Starrett tool mixed reviews for accuracy. Some loved it; others found it off by 1/2 deg or more. Quality control in mfg?

Quote Originally Posted by kiptewksbury View Post
    Amazon users gave the Starrett tool mixed reviews for accuracy. Some loved it; others found it off by 1/2 deg or more. Quality control in mfg?
    First time I've heard anything bad about the Starretts. I wouldn't rely too much on the reviews at Amazon, could be anybody reviewing it.
    Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by kiptewksbury View Post
    1/2 a degree? That is too minor to be an issue, but it begs the question: How did they know the Starlett was off by half a degree? There are a variety of ways to calibrate, but I think they all have more than a half-degree of tolerance outside of using manufacturing tools for calibration.

But still, is there a reason you need to cut the molding on the flat?

-Allon

I bought the BAF a long time ago... First I did the math thing for a few years, but that got old really fast... Best 100.00 I ever spent. Its Also great because I can give a quick 10 minute lesson to the aprentice and off he goes to start cutting my corners...