Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Thomas Air Pac ?

Does anybody have any expirence with or comments about the Thomas Air Pac compressors? I'm considering buying the twin tank, twin pump, 2 HP electric. Runs about $580. Steep price, but the 9 second fill time, the 5 cfm, and the 13.5 amps make it look real good. Any thoughts. http://www.thomasairpac.com/products...T/t-2820st.jsp
    Last edited by smtitmas; 11-23-2006 at 09:43 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."
    - Bob Marley

Default Re: Thomas Air Pac ?

I have it and like it, but I haven't yet had the chance to really push it. It carries pretty nice and is quiet for it's class. The regulator leaves a bit to be desired: I'll probably be looking to put a more ergonomic knob on it...

Any specific info you're looking for?
    Last edited by littlebluetruck; 11-23-2006 at 11:25 PM.

what i use now are Paslode impulse nailers for trim and a Porter Cable pancake comp for production trim and frame both are very limited in power , speed and reliability so im wanting a sutup with more speed and reliability. Paslodes are always jamming. is the Thomas worth the price?
    S.M.Titmas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you. You just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."
    - Bob Marley

smtitmas,
    We have had Thomas oil-less compressors for about 5 years, or since they came out. Bought the first one at a show, which we never do. It has preformed well, minor things like the switch needing to be replaced because we dropped something on it. You might want to shop the price, I think you can do better? We are remodelors so we are not trying to run 3-4 guys at one time off those compressors.
    If I was looking to purchase a new compressor I would look at buying that Max air compressor that can run the high pressure Max guns. it can also run other guns I believe but just in case you decide to purchase one of those Max high pressure guns as we are now we need to also get another compressor. I don't have Max guns website but I'm sure a google search you could get the info.
    Good Luck,

Marty V.

Agreed: you should be able to do a little better on the price. (Amazon is $439 out the door...)

I own three of them and would buy it again

had one of them for six years and push it hard all the time
    It has been very reliable
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    Level one thermagrapher (Snell Training)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    www.parleebuilders.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Just bought the 3 gallon air-pac 2 months ago and so far I love it. I just got tired of hauling the big compressor with me to do small jobs so I wanted a light replacement so I went with the 3 gallon. The site said you can do framing with it and I was skeptical but it has proved great for stud work and light sheathing. Of course I am no Mark Parlee or Tim Uhler when it comes to framing but I am completely satisfied with its performance. These compressors definitely have balls. I highly recommend them to any carpenters. For a remodeler like myself, I don't think you can do better. No breakers tripping and not absurdly loud, very nice.
    Marco

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify."
    Thoreau

Marko

I am no Mark Parlee when it comes to framing either, somehow I have turned into a sider
    Mark Parlee
    BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
    EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
    Level one thermagrapher (Snell Training)
    www.thebuildingconsultant.com
    www.parleebuilders.com
    You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parlee View Post
    Marko

I am no Mark Parlee when it comes to framing either, somehow I have turned into a sider
    Mark, Somehow you sound unsatisfied with being a sider, look at the bright side, you could be Mark Parlee, Attorney at Law, or Mark Parlee Manager, Burger King Des Moines : )
    Marco

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify."
    Thoreau

Thanks for the input guys, ive decided to buy one and will shop around for a lower price. thanks
    S.M.Titmas.

- Bob Marley

I have the T-35Hd—1 HP Ultra Oil-Less Air Compressor from Thomas.
    I have been thru many of the junk brands that didnt last or perform as advertised.

I can tell you that I wish I had known about the Thomas brand many years ago; because it would have saved me money & headaches. Just make sure you get a model that will supply you with the proper amount of cfms for what you are doing. I even gave their support number a call before I bought and got a lot of really good advice on what size to get.

One thing a lot of people overlook when buying the small portables is that very few are "designed" to work with extension cords like the Thomas.

Good choice...............
    Larry in Michigan