Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EasyMat

Default EasyMat

Just saw an ad in " remodeling" mag. Underlayment for tile. Easymat made by cutombuildingproducts dot com. Any guinea pigs out there? "Some say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one"

Default Re: EasyMat

Love it! The new prime, peel and stick is awesome.

john k, what kind of sound do leather-heeled shoes make after tiles are installed over this stuff?

Michael,

I'm not really sure as I've walked on it with reg tennis shoes. The product does have some sound reduction.

Here are my thoughts and correct me if I'm wrong. Why load the floor system with heavy backerboard and have it mechanically fastened to the subfloor when you can use this product, cut inside, no dust, hardly any weight, no taping joints, no scratched cabinets or walls and some laterial movement suppression( with perimeter expansion).

Now all this is well and good if the floor system meets l/360 or l/720.

John K

Looks interesting based on the PDF I was able to find on it.

Mr. Byrne, isn't this kind of like setting tile right onto plywood and setting an isolation membrane first? I would think it would sound weird under foot. However, if this EasyMat has the ability to absorb the movement of the underlayment, it would work OK right?

I have no experience installing this material but I do have concerns re sound: not the transmission of sound through this product, but the hollow sound one encounters when walking over the floor.

Please call me Michael. I am turning 60 in a few months and remarks like "Mr." are starting to hurt.

Hello Michael...(as you can see I spared you from the "Mr."..lol) First off I'd like to thankyou for all the help you have provided throughout the years with your book "Setting Tile". It's now required reading for any and all newcomers that I employ and still acts as my flooring prerequisite in flooring designs. O.K...enough with the accolades, question;...this is in regards to the Easymat underlayment system. Do you have any idea as to how this may act as a "heat insulative" barrier on a concrete substrate? I've tried numerous times to contact Custom Building Products regarding this issue but as of yet have I been able to reach anyone. I have a client who is looking to have a heating system installed over 700 SF in her basement. The substrate is concrete and the operative schematics that she has in mind will require anywhere from 6 to 9 thermostats which will keep everything within the 120v range. She is looking for some type of insulative underlayment to act as a barrier to keep the heat from being "wasted" in the concrete substrate. I normally have followed the manufacturers instructions in the past and have used simply a modified thinset without any problems. On a few occassions I have used the Ditra underlayment system which proved fine but as for a "heat insulative barrier"..I guess I'm at a loss for words. Other then dropping in some 1/4" Hardi-Backer or the Ditra, I really don't know what can be used to satisfy her concerns. Any thoughts on how the Easymat may help in this matter? Again, thanks for everything and your time. Sincerely,
    Michael Stoddard
    S & S Tile Services
    Southwick, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mbyrne View Post
    I have no experience installing this material but I do have concerns re sound: not the transmission of sound through this product, but the hollow sound one encounters when walking over the floor.
    Michael... I think you are alluding to a similar sound when walking on laminate flooring. I hate that hollow noise when walking on it - can't imagine it with tile too. Nothing like real wood or tile.. Would be interesting to know...

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Over at John Bridge a number of the pros are big fans of various roll-it-out-and-set-yer-tile underlayments. One or two that come to mind are by Protecto-Wrap. They had a booth at the show but I didn't check out those particular products.

Does anyone know if Custom's Easy mat is similar to Laticrete's Iso mat?