Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

SoftPlan version 13 letdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoftPlan version 13 letdown

I have been doing CAD work starting from back in 1985. It was AutoCad for the most part with all the different trade modules. Arch, civil, mechanical, solids...
    I landed a great job with a company that uses Softplan, although stripped of what I believed where standard tools I could blast out correct plans in one third of the time. You still need to know how to draw and there is always cleanup involved. I started on version 9 and now am at version 13. This is the dilemma. Version 11 finally presented an open directory tree (on the hard drive) for the program so you could manually move all those little symbols that make life simpler between machines and do backups . Version 12 took a performance hit to the point the on anything under 1.2 ghz was annoyingly slow. We updated to 2.8 ghz (Tops for the time) and it got better. Now we have version 13 and again it's even slower! It has to be to sorriest excuse for a new release I have ever experienced. Other then being able to spin a 3D model in real time there are NO production enhancements (for us) just a lot of fluff. They didn't even make a new program icon! Over the last 11 years I have spent hours forwarding detailed problems with drawing to their Tech support and to date not one has been corrected. Most are replied with some lame request for further system information. With four seats and all of them doing the same thing it should be obvious. Today, I just can not believe that a programmer could release code that is so flawed that simply canceling a menu takes close to two billion clock cycles. (Hesitates for a second, on everything) A second is not much but then when you have a beach full things change. Oh, one thing, we still uses it because it works, it's just when everyone else is getting faster and we paid for two expensive upgrades SoftPlan got slower. Granted some people may not be bothered by the slug affect but when you do this for 40-50 hours every week as a living it looks like we will be forced to replace our computer again!

Re: SoftPlan version 13 letdown

Designguy:

I highly reccomend for you to turn off "background extraction". How much memory and what video card are you using? Considering that there are over 300 new features added from version 12, It's hard to believe that there aren't any production enhancements you could use. What about the new "align to edge" command, or the "match planes" command in roof mode, Auto label notes,equally space openings, batch printing, layers, building options, Arc and angle dimension, set distance between, or the new way that multi-drawing works (to name but a few)? Aren't any of these helpful, or have you just missed them? If you're a SoftPlan user and not using the S.P.L.A.S.H. forum... you're definately missing the boat. Good L.U.C.K. - Labor Under Correct Knowledge

P.S.
    I started using SoftPlan when I purchased V11 for my remodeling company. It's amazing how 2 people can have such varying views. In my humble opinion, V13 has been the upgade with the most improvements out of the 3 versions I have used. Btw. to be fair... I USED to be a Representative for SoftPlan, I'm currently transitioning back into the building trades, so this post has no direct effect on myself, or my income.

Jamie Moyer
    Last edited by ChicagoSoftPlan; 07-26-2006, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I have also upgraded from version 11 to 13 and overall I am quite pleased with the improvements that have been added. Yes I have experienced a learning curve, but overall I am satisfied.The Splash website is a huge help.
      http://www.ridgelineconstruct.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ridgel...6262115?v=wall

Comment

i've been using softplan since feb 1998 v10,
        that was really tough for me mainly because i
        was new to both computing and cad.

than v11 was easier

v12 even better

no doubt v13 is the best yet by far.

many of the new commands and features are HUGE
        time savers.

at least for me and i use it daily for designing, renderings
        and con docs.

you do have to have a mightier machine to run v13.

more powerful engines because of the improved
        softplan and softVIEW features.

i do lot's of renderings and v13 is definately better with
        textures and lighting.

note:
        when i first got v13, i kept on completing some of my
        v12 projects in v12, once i had the feeling for v13 which
        tool about a month, i copied all v12 projects over
        to v13 and have never looked back and never will.

i've told people who send me their drawings now that
        they better be v13 or i won't open them.

there's no way anyone can convince me v13 isn't a
        top notch REAL UPGRADE.

Comment

Have you spoken to the doctor about your problem?
          Excellence is its own Reward!

Comment

Trust me - ACT 2005 was the sorriest excuse for a new software release ever... :-) Nothing SoftPlan could ever do, even if they fired all of their staff and had chimpanzees complete the programming and the family dog write the manuals could even begin to approach that debacle.

Back to Softplan -
            You don't think having a programmable keyboard macro facility is a HUGE productivity improvement ? Or any of the other issues ChicagoS mentioned? If you're an AutoCAD user you should be doing backflips over not having to mouse everything.

I've never even owned a 2.0+ GHz computer. I run 13 on a Pentium M low voltage ThinkPad 1.0 Ghz and 1.5GB of RAM , no special video card - and no problems. I wouldn't want to do it all day every day on this computer because it has a 12" screen, but hooked to an external monitor and a real keyboard it would be fine. Sounds like you have some serious configuration issues or hardware problems.

IMO SoftPlan 13 is a terrific upgrade. It incorporates many, many, many features I've been begging for since the move to Windows. I'd put it on par with what Version 8.2 was to us DOS users.

JLS
            =====================================
            ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
            Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
            Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
            ====================================

Comment

Originally posted by jstoddard View Post
              I'd put it on par with what Version 8.2 was to us DOS users.
              JLS
              At first when I read that comment I thought "Wholly crap when did I miss a Dos version release 8.2???"
              so I quickly did a search on Dos release history to see what I missed... and then realized abrubtly I need a day off :) never mind!
              and sorry for totally hijacking the softplan thread! I figured me laughing at myself was worth sharing...

Phil

Comment

Phil
                8.2 was the culmination of the DOS effort - it was stable, mature, reliable and fast. Of course it wasn't all roses - remember the way 45 deg walls used to dimension and intersect, etc etc. ? It had issues... but even with those limitations it made a lot of us a lot of money automating the drafting process.

JLS
                =====================================
                ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
                Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
                Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
                ====================================

Comment

Design Guy, my experience with SP13 has been the antithesis of yours. I like it at twice the price. I have had one issue with shed roofs that with some help from sp tech we have discovered SP can't do. They have forwarded the issue to the coders to deal with. I do have a fast computer as hardware is cheap compared to the time it saves me. I can rotate 3D with arrows on keyboard and examine quickly: priceless. This version is much more productive for our office. Our system with V13 is instantaneous: read my lips 0 wait on redraw. Ok, I know you can't see my lips: lucky you. I am V9-13 and am ready for a 64bit version-go version 14, I am ready to write the check.

Ron Paulk
                  Paulk Homes LLC

Comment

Working...
                  X