Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USG Durabond,What garbage!!!

I normally buy GP brand durabond by the pallet 90 bags at a time,Im doing a little job for one of the electricians at work,He had a bag of usg:arbage durabond there and said to use it up,So I did.
    I cant belive how crappy this stuff is,It was working for about 10 minutes and started to change in texture, air bubbles,hard to work with.I was doing the corner bead and it wouldnt even spread out at all it would plowover.
    Ive had trouble with this months ago and just thought i got a bad batch,But this is the way it is now with the usg product.
    I called a USG rep and asked why they changed their formula and he said that they didnt change anything.It used to be a good product but now Ill never use it again.
    Have anyone else seen this tranformation?
    If you dont know what Im talking about ,buy a bag of GP toughrock :durabond and you will see how nice that product works compared to usg.

Default Re: USG Durabond,What garbage!!!

Hey drywaller I'm in NH too and I have 40+ bags of GP Sandable 90 want to buy them? If so respond, with name and number to xmudslingerx@yahoo.com

Hey Mike,

Thanks anyway,I use the nonsandable,and I just bought a pallet.
    Have you used the USG lateley?Is it just me, or does anyone else know what Im talking about with the usg product?

why would you use non-sandable? and I actually think the easy sand is nicer to work with, I didnt alway feel that way. Just did a job last week, used easy sand 45 works great. I will not buy pallets and store the produst and handle it 3 times befor I astually use it. So where are you from? you a sub or and owner if so what company?

I find that the non sandable is much stronger.
    I guess im not mixing the usg quite right or something,maybe I should wait a few minutes after the 1st mix and remix again.
    I buy pallets at a time for a couple reasons,One is price roughly 7 to 8 bucks a bag.Two it saves me running around to lumber yards before I go to job.
    I own my own company,Im 2 hours or so north of you.
    Things seem to be slowing down in this area,Phones not ringing off the hook as it was in the last few years,Another drywaller from the plymouth area called me the other day and he said the same,hows the work situation in your area?

I don't like the non sandable types and haven't used durabond in many years. I mostly use the USG easysand and have no complants. I do let it slack up for a minute and then remix. Use cool clean water and make sure the bucket and mixer are also clean.

why in the world are you guys using so much durabond on new work for ? i never apply any durabond to new homes .

I thought they were talking about smaller jobs.

What's your preference on new homes BD?
    “If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Mr. Red Green

i use pro-form and nothing else, yeah i buy a sack or two of hot mud when i need it for patch work but i never buy large amount .

I used to use hot mud on all jobs under 50 sheets, I gues it just depends. I always finish coat with light weight compound.

The last larger job I did, I used mesh and Pro Form (red lid), on flats and paper on butts. Since it was a log home it was mostly interior partition walls, not alot of butt joints.

A side note:

I spoke with a sales rep from "wall span" a major maunfacturer of mesh tape, and he says the the time saved on the 3rd coat using mesh with compound, far out way the potential for cracking. He also noted that if there is cracking ists for 3 reasons 1. major shifting 2. torpedo heating coated areas and the joit is only dry on the surface and the cracking happens after priming 3. above 20% humidity and lower than 70 degrees during drying. I'm not disputing whats stronger, but I am disputing whats faster when hand taping, mid-size jobs.

I also tried using drywall screws to install vinyl corner bead, worked well and faster than stapleing as in the past. I always mesh the mud legs.
    "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"

I use mesh tape and durabond on all my jobs ,big or small ,It is a faster way to tape in my opinion.I will mesh all flats and and use paper on butts and inside corners with the banjo.Then I can second coat mesh the same day and finish with lightweight compounds for the last coat.
    A friend of mine useds mesh tape and proform on a house and had some major problems.(alot of hairline cracks)Im not sure it would be a good idea to use regular compounds with mesh,It does say on all the mesh tapes packages to only use setting type compounds with mesh.

sorry but i would never string mesh tape on the inside of any new home large or small .mesh works good for repair work when using durabond . you have to understand mesh tape has to be "worked ". you cant just coat over it like regular tape and expect it not to crack out . the first coat over mesh has to be a "tight skim" and needs to be cured and very lightly sanded before you coat . so if the is any cracking you will be able to see it before you apply your first coat . and yes i would definately use durabond for my skim coat and 1st coat when using mesh tape .

Quote Originally Posted by Drywaller
    I normally buy GP brand durabond by the pallet 90 bags at a time,Im doing a little job for one of the electricians at work,He had a bag of usg:arbage durabond there and said to use it up,So I did.
    I cant belive how crappy this stuff is,It was working for about 10 minutes and started to change in texture, air bubbles,hard to work with.I was doing the corner bead and it wouldnt even spread out at all it would plowover.
    Ive had trouble with this months ago and just thought i got a bad batch,But this is the way it is now with the usg product.
    I called a USG rep and asked why they changed their formula and he said that they didnt change anything.It used to be a good product but now Ill never use it again.
    Have anyone else seen this tranformation?
    If you dont know what Im talking about ,buy a bag of GP toughrock :durabond and you will see how nice that product works compared to usg.
    I haven't used "regular" durabond in quite a while (lightweight these days), but I always use a healthy squirt of dish detergent when mixing. Seems to help smooth out the lumps and make it pull easier. Even use it in ready mix. Seems to make the mud slicker. I was told this "trick" by a "machine" finisher years ago, and he swore it made using the bazooka and boxes much easier. He said lemon Joy is all he used and it's all I've ever used. Even seems to slow down the setting time a bit with the setting type compounds. More working time or use a 45 min. instead of 90, depending on the situation. Just something you might try before than tossing the material on hand. There used to be a product (Mud Max or something like that) supposed to accomplish the same thing, but I remember it as a lot more expensive than a $2.00 bottle of dish soap that will mix many a bucket. My opinion for what it's worth.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.

When I was only hand taping, even on larger jobs I would use mesh on all my seams, (except butted seams) and embed the tape in a lightweight setting compound. It is a lot faster than embedding paper tape by hand. Even now when I hand tape a smaller job I use mesh on the seams

myron-

how do you feel about using mesh tape and 2 coats of plus 3 with a curve trowel of factory edges / seams?
    "cheap labor pays for expensive headaches"