Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

hurricane shutters for skylights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hurricane shutters for skylights

Anybody seen these? Have a brand or construction method you would recommend?

Re: hurricane shutters for skylights

I know nothing but would like to encourage a lively discussion on this topic.

Anyone?

Bill R
    [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

Never seen them but I always use the laminated glass, like a car windshield, Velux offers it still I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by charles
        Anybody seen these? Have a brand or construction method you would recommend?

Never used or seen them but here's a site to see them.

http://www.above-it-all.co.uk/loft_w...x_shutters.htm

I've had few problems with Velux, but these would need some more research.

Good luck Charles
        T.

Comment

Interesting, but I don't see any mention of hurricane protection. Do they get hurricanes in England?

Comment

The most common protection I used to see in Palm Beach consisted of custom sheetmetal boxes dropped over the lights and attached to the sides. With our current codes, you couldn't put a unit in the roof unless it has been tested and approved for impact resistance and wind loads. I'm not sure where you are at, but here is one company with product approvals for our area:

http://www.americanskylites.com/

There are several others listed, some appear to be local fabricators. Let me know if you need some more names.
            Ted

Comment

I need names of shutter manufacturers, not skylight fabricators.

Comment

Charles -
                Are there any code or product approval requirements for these "shutters" where(ever) you are? If not, a custom heavy sheetmetal cover is a simple solution. If there is a specific wind pressure or impact criteria you need to satisfy, clue us in and I can do a search of Miami-Dade tested products for you. A glance through the hundreds of "shutter" manuf's listed did not reveal anything that said skylights.That doesn't mean there isn't something buried in there a more exact search wouldn't uncover. I left a message with my storm protection sub, maybe I'll hear from him next week.
                Ted

Comment

Yes, I need Dade County approval. Thanks.

Comment

Here is the link for the Miami-Dade approved products site:
                    http://www.miamidade.gov/buildingcode/pc-search_app.asp

Do an advanced search, Catagory= Shutters. I did not see anything specifically for skylights. I recommend you contact some of the companies directly (click on the company name) to find out if they offer anything.
                    Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Skylight Sales
                      The only way to hurricane proof a non approved skylight is to replace it.
                      Now whay would that be? If you can hurricane-proof an ordinary window with a shutter, why can't you do the same with a skylight? There's bound to be a market for such.

I have an email into Miami-Dade, but they haven't responded yet.

Comment

I realize you have a financial interest, but I still say there's a market for added protection. Nothing wrong with putting up a box when a hurricane is approaching, and it shouldn't be hard to build such a box to Miami-Dade standards. All "hurricane-approved" means is that the glass won't come apart, but it can still be ruined by debris. So I'd want the extra protection. This wouldn't be a seasonal thing, it would just be installed when a hurricane is approaching, then removed when it passes. Lots of people have very accessible roofs that they don't mind going up on. Guess I'll go into the business and compete with you. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                        X