Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default removing cottage chesse ceiling

i am about to start work on a place i just bought and the first thing i need to do is remove the cottage cheese ceiling. is there a chemical i can use or could i just use water and a spray gun and scrap it down? the place was built in 1985 so i don't think there is anything harmful in the cheese. any hints to make this fly would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    redbeard

Default Re: removing cottage chesse ceiling

redhead,

if I recall you are living in a mobile home. so just get on top of the mobile home and jump up and down, it should knock most if it off!!!! lol

just use a garden type sprayer with water lightly spray and then scrape with drywall knife.

if the ceiling is older than 1978 you may want to check for asbestos.
    put lots of plastic down.

have fun, afterwards you wont be a redhead any more...... cottage cheese whitehead!
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Kreg
    LOL!!!!!! that is classic! you had me laughing for a bit kreg. the jump up and down method sounds great, i think it might do the whole thing in though.
    after all is scraped i can look forward to joint compounding the ceiling and painting.
    thanks
    redbeard

I run water through a paint sprayer... very easy to use and control. Use a nice wide 10 or 12 inch knife, and experiment with the moisture level to get it dialed in. Ditto on the plastic.
    www.telianconstruction.com
    Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship. - Zeuxis, 400 B.C.

there is actually carpet in there that i am taking out, so i am going to just let it fall and cut the carpet, roll it up and take it to the dump. i am putting in hardwood floors. it's gonna be the nicest mobile home ever! lol
    redbeard

That last statement just proves that there are rednecks in all corners of world.

I'm wondering if I would scrape the ceilings, because when they finished the (assuming) drywall what if they didn't finish to a smooth ceiling quaility? Once you spray water or some jury rigged chemical on to the cheese ceiling it could make the face paper under the cheese tare when scraping, if they didnt prime before texturing. I would just either re-drywall over the cheese, re-texture over cheese, or skim smooth. Or strip a closet closet ceiling to see what your dealing with. Plan your approach based on your findings.

what i am looking to do is lay down a smooth coat after i scrape. could i possibly do that over the cottage cheese? my wife just can't stand the cottage cheese, nor can i. i was planning on testing one of the closets first just to see what exactly i am getting into.

Redbeard, I have done a few of these in my days. The problem with a 20 + year old ceiling is that it probably does not have a primer coat under it. I have used the water/scrape method before. The first couple I did not prime the ceiling before skimming & the mud(s) did not want to stick in the brown paper field. I tried Plus 3. All Purpose & Easy Sand at that time. A long story short, use a good primer, I like Kilz total one or something on that line. Do this before you skim. If you are dealing with 5/8" rock, it is savable, if it is 1/2" & that old, don't monkey with it, overlay it. Chance are if it is 1/2" it has started to sag alittle. Good luck, my 2 cents, Ed.

If the cheese is still well attached, skim over with 2 coats of lightweight compound.

Kreg, just what I was thinking, He won't be redbeard anymore.

I jsus had a customer who got a bid for me to remove the cottage cheese from thier ceilings. They did not like my number and so decided to do it themselves. I evidently gave them 'enough info' as we talked about it that they did it themselves but they forgot several things. Things like putting plastic over doors and on furniture to keep the dust contained, using a vaccum on the sander if they were going to try that method. They decided to use a sander without a vac attachment. Since it was nice and breezy and there was quite a bit of dust in the air the decided to open up the windows to air out the house. Now instead of one room haveing dust in it it is in all the house, in the closets, had to have all the bedding washed etc. They said they looked like a couple of ghosts by the time they got done. At least they knew enough to use dust masks. They were nice enough to call and tell me that they now know why I was asking what I did to do thier job. And they are not done with it yet and have decided that the ceiling does not look to bad with most of the bumps off the ceiling. No way they are going to skim coat it and have to do any more sanding they said.

I would really encourage you to try a small area like a closet. See how easily and how well it comes off. I have done that a time or two. I kept track of how long it took to take it off, how long to get it smoothed out, how long to clean up. Then I decided if it was just as well to drywall right over it to get the results I was looking for. Unless it is just a small area I usually find I am happier with the results and the work if I drywall over all of it rather than try to take it down.

Don't want to sound rude but you guys sound as if you shy away from re-texturing ceilings. Maybe you just don't deal with the "popcorn" or "cottage cheese" very often? I live in the Minnesota, and taking out acoustic (or "cottage cheese" or "popcorn") is like breathing air on remodels!!! Everyone around here did acoustic forever, now it is completely a "sign of the times"! A small spray bottle of water (hairdresser's kind works great, adjustable nozzle), just spray out each room before you scrape down on your stilts. If the rooms were NOT painted or primed your job will be easy breezy. If they were painted and/or primed it will not be so easy and you may want to consider coating the ceiling once/twice with mud to cover.

Get it wet??? I have done this oer & over to ceilings. I Always use a adjustaable handle floor scraper & of course a face sheild or safety goggles.
    Just scrape it off ,,MaKe a mess & clean er up. Gitterdone!
    If the ceiling is still to rough for you to spray or trowel over, roll on a skim coat with a paint roller & skim it with a squeegee type magic wand. I have done this on popcorn ceilings large & or small. Also hand textured ceilings.
    If you need to patch in the middle of a popcorn ceiling Scrape away wht you need tio get a good patch taped in. On the perimeter edges of your scraped area I drag my floor sraper backwards to knock off only about half of the texture for the next 12-16" This will help you blend in your new texture match. I don't us a real sharp scraper as it will somtimes scrape more than you want.
    Greg

When the carpet is coming out, we've even taken a garden hose inside with an adjustable nozzle and dialed it down to a fine mist. Get it all wet, let it sit and soak for a bit then wet it a little more right before you scrape and it works great.

The finish is almost never adequate under the popcorn, so we usually count on at least one more coat on all joints and screws, and one good tight skim coat over the entire thing to get rid of any residual roughness, especially if the ceiling has been painted and didn't scrape quite so easily.

We have had problems with the new mud wanting to roll up as we're trying to put it on after scraping off the old. You can prime it before you coat, or we've had pretty good luck with thinning the mud more than we usually would.

Quote Originally Posted by Joetaper
    A small spray bottle of water (hairdresser's kind works great, adjustable nozzle), just spray out each room before you scrape down on your stilts.
    your hand would be killing you by the end of an hour. and it would take for ever, probably 10 times longer. why not use the garden type sprayer and let air pressure do the work.
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Considering all the labor trying to scrape the old **** off, with the possiability of skimming a ceiling in a trailor...????. F that re-drywall it.