Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What new toys did you pick up @ JLC Live , Providence?

I thought I would start a thread to see what tools anyone picked up in Providece. I bought the Bosch Colt vs router kit a set of Forstner bits and a Grabbit stripped screw remover. My buddy picked up a Bosch benchtop router table, Bosch 3 1/4 router and a Bosch 12 volt impactor. The Bosch salesman threw in a router edge guide some jigsaw blades and a couple of Bosch hats. Good prices and some needed tools, it always feels good to come home with something new. I liked the new Makita 7 1/2 in. scms, it only weighs 26 lbs., but I was getting too low on cash, maybe next year.
    Gene
    If it looks right, it is right

Default Re: What new toys did you pick up @ JLC Live , Providence?

I got some more 2p10, the new kreg jig package, 10 oz finish hammer with the new slot for a nail on the head.(had 2 from the last show but no slot)
    coping foot from collins. ( bought one last year and lost it in my move)
    spring clamps from collins

Did not buy the bosh colt router.....but went and bought it today at lowes. why? because I only had 2 other hand held and needed a 3rd one! lol

that was about it.
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

I picked up a big foot head cutter, the new bostitch n89 coil framer. I tried one another framers last week, one of the guys missed the stud when nailing sheathing, and the gun blasted the nail right into the house. I love having the extra power. just have to remind them to use the depth setter. also got the new bostitch metal connector gun. this thing is the size of a finish gun. can't wait to use it. Also got the bostish version of the bowwrench. And a few books too while i was there. "Contractors Guide to quickbooks pro 2006" and "Run your business so it doesn't run you" hopefully these both are a big help.

I bought nothing but gained alot...

Got a free T shirt from azek.. It is sad to say that the new tools I need to buy are software and computers.. I even have to give up my carhartts and boots soon.. I will still purchase nice hand tools and probably build or buy a nice cabinet makers bench..

Nice to see everyone at Providence.. That was really cool.

Bjorn..

Bjorn,

Nice to meet you also, why do you have to give up your boots and carharts? are you going to be doing something different?
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com

Kreg,

I need to pick between being a carpenter and a Business owner. It is a problem if you want to grow as a company. You can't do it all and do it all well. One end will suffer. And my business end has been the one suffering. I am not giving up my carhartts just yet, but I know it woul'nt be long. I could'nt even buy a tool at the show because I realize that most of them are toys as STONE says. I spent 20k on tools last year, if I spent that on advertsiing, marketing, sales and Business coaching I would have made more money.. So thats what I am going to do.. I have been working as a employee of my own company for to long and it is time to be the owner.. This is not going to be an easy change but one that is going to take some time, thought and money.

Bjorn

More Collins Miter clamps
    The insulation knife from the hot blonde chick
    A magnetic stud finder that actually works (kind of like a totlock)
    A $100 Festool Systainer ("but it's a GERMAN $100 tacklebox" the guy tells me)
    Sawhelper Stand with two 8's thanks to Kreg
    Lenox recip blades
    Fein Multimaster blades (3 for $69!...nearly free!)

I also picked up the knowledge that I only know about .0002% of what I should really know about residential construction and that some of the vendors there know a lot less than me! Some of the pissing matches I heard between some of the vendors were hilarious. Ask the GP guys about USG's new drywall and vice versa. Greenboard almost sounds good after hearing them badmouth each other.

Every composite deck product is expensive and better than the guy in the next booth even though they've only been on the market for 3 months. There are way too many composite companies making claims that cannot be supported this soon without time testing. I'm in a very wealthy area and 90% of the people I meet with won't spend that kind of cash on a deck. I'd love to see the market research of all these companies. What good is a 25 year warranty if the company doesn't last 2 years in the marketplace?

I bought the A&D stand with an 8' and a 5' still not sure if I should have bought it with two 8' sides? Just seams like it gets long to set up. I did get the crown stops and he threw in an extra set of connectors for my second saw.

I also bought a veta pro-pac seems way better than my bucket.

And an extension side for my Rousseau table saw stand, I have some panels to cut tomorrow.

If I didn't buy the miter stand I would have bought a festool saw and track that is definitely on my list. If I had one I wouldn't have needed the table saw extension.

Rick
    Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Mugauro,

I started with the 8 and 5 and latter had to buy the 9'. a better way to go.

because with 2 8' you can slide the 16' stick back and forth, and it has support over 1/2 the area with the 5 you have 11 ' hanging over and it bends a lot.

you may want to call them up and switch out to the 8 or 9 and pay the difference, which should not be that much more. it is no more of a hassell to set up than the 5. just a thought from one who has been their.
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com

I got off real cheap last year. This year...

the makita 400 18v l-ion set
    stabila 4P squaring laser
    grabit screw remover(If it works just once it's a deal)
    misc small hand tools
    Before the Tinman decorative shingle CD and a couple more books
    preorder of the Bosch 10.8v litheon pocket driver

but hey!!! at least I get a free makita 18v sawzall!!!
    Take Care

Jim

I'm planning on hitting Anaheim again in May but from what you guys are saying it sure sounds like Providence is a lot bigger. Can anyone confirm that?
    www.telianconstruction.com
    Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship. - Zeuxis, 400 B.C.

littlebluetruck,

I have been to anaheim 3 times and providence 1. both shows to me seem to be the same size and lots of people. most vendors hit all jlc shows, except more local lumberyards etc.

I will probably fly out to anaheim also, my oldest daughter is grad from SDSU on the 20th of may. I will follow up later to confirm, and help arrange a meet and greet.
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mugagro
    he threw in an extra set of connectors for my second saw.
    I bought TWO stands from the guy, and a set of $100 crown stops and the guy was bitching about taking $30 off each stand. It seems like he gave a different deal to everyone that bought one. I hate that ****. It's like going to a car dealer for crying out loud. Just give me your best price and don't make me beg for it.

Greg,

I agree with you. set a price for the show and go with it. Except I spoke to him before you got their and told him to watch out for you!!!
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com

Hey Greg,

The extra set of connectors sell for $40.00 so I didn't make out much better.
    I felt the same as you when I read he took $50.00 off forAaron.

" I picked up the AD&E sawhelper and talked the guy into giving me $50 off...always looking for a deal. I can't wait to try that out. I coould have spent alot more if I had it. Maybe next year:)

Aaron

Kreg
    My first thought was 2 8' maybe I will call him tomorrow.

Thanks Rick

Rick
    Last edited by Mugagro; 03-27-2006 at 09:35 PM.
    Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.