Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

hardishingle vs hardiplank siding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardishingle vs hardiplank siding

Hi guys, I'm hoping you may have some expert advice for me, please.

We're building a new house that has a peaked roof/gable, and we're debating going with hardiplank for the front of the peak, like the rest of the house, or using hardishingles to give it a more cedar-shake-like look.

Our builder is quoting us what seems like a high price difference to use the hardishingle instead of the lap siding, $850 for a triangle with area=100 sq ft, claiming it is much more difficult to install. Is this true? We're thinking that the difference in material cost should be less than $200, so i'm a bit surpised by the 850. What do you guys think? What are the main differences between installing the plank vs shingles? We're now debating going with someone else (or doing it ourselves) after the house is built. Thank you kindly for your help!

Re: hardishingle vs hardiplank siding

This is not the place to ask this question.
    If you want comparative bids or something to use to bargain with your builder, well, this is not the place for that.

Bill R
    [URL="http://www.train2rebuild.com"]www.train2build.com[/URL]

Comment

www.diy.com
      www.thisoldhouse.com
      www.doityourself.com
      Take Care

Jim

Comment

Bill and Jim

I want so bad to answer this issue

Mark
        Mark Parlee
        BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
        EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
        EDI Seminar Instructor
        Level one thermographer (Snell)
        www.thebuildingconsultant.com
        You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

That is fine Mark, I understand the desire to be of assistance is strong.
          I feel it myself from time to time.

Be thoughtful of how you are impacting some hard-working contractor somewhere.

Another option is to respond offline.
          I do that quite often with these homers.

Thanks for asking, I am good with your choice.
          Thanks for your thoughtful and considerate participation.
          Bill R

Comment

Thanks Bill
            I choose to reply online here so others of us might benefit

Jules anne
            The first thing I would look for is: Does your builder have credibility? Why are you questioning him? Have you seen other jobs he has done? Do you like them? Do others he has done work for like the results of his work? You state “We’re thinking the material difference should be less than $200 difference.” Where did you get this information? Could it be that this product is more time intensive to install, hence the price difference? I am not trying to come off harsh, or condescending to you whatsoever. I’ll give you my background: I specialize in cement board siding installation. Typical lap siding in my market cost approximately $120 per square for materials. The individual Hardi shingles cost in the neighborhood of $300 per square. The Hardi panel is close to $500 per square. Each of the prior two are more labor intensive to install than the lap siding. The net result of my charges have been at times an additional $500-600 per square, making the total come to $1000 per square, depending on the job, for Hardi shingle siding. If your builder does a competent job, his pricing by my estimation does not seem out of line at all. If he doesn’t do a competent job, then why are you even dealing with him in the first place. If you have already trusted him with your house, and now you think this add-on is a couple hundred too high (which is totally a guess on your part and may be inaccurate), is it really worth worrying about the couple hundred bucks, which are most likely justified anyway? Keep in mind this is not a do-it-yourself forum; this is for professionals. If your contractor is professional, then trust him. If not, run.

Mark
            Mark Parlee
            EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
            EDI Seminar Instructor
            You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Excellent post, Mark.

Greg
              Greg

Comment

Bravo Mark, will you speak for me in the future?
                Encore!!
                Thanks,
                Bill R

Comment

Mark,
                  Excellent post.I feel you are right on about the big price jump in materials and labor both with these shingle products.It's consistant with what I have been quoted for them.
                  Jules anne,
                  I don't feel this is a DYI project that you would want to do to save a few bucks.I've done a few shingle jobs like this and there are a lot of factors to consider to get it to look and perform right.
                  Bill,
                  Please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way---I'm not lookin' to pick a fight.I know the DYI subject has been discussed frequently here.I personally don't find it objectionable as I feel the percentage of DYI posts is pretty small.Most will go away when they get a reasonable answer or learn that there are sites more suited to their questions.I must say that I felt your initial response to this post was a bit harsh,and I've noted this type of response from others on these forums over the years.Sure,this site is for people in the building profession. I've learned a lot by coming here and have come to respect the opinons and advice given by so many.But,if we are to be a group of professionals we need to project that image consistently;both with the regulars here and those who might just be visiting.Dealing with these questions is just part of the equation in this business whether it be here,with a prospective client,or with your buddy at the coffee shop.There's always a diplomatic way of going about it.
                  Thanks for listening
                  Rich

Comment

" I felt your initial response to this post was a bit harsh"

Harsh huh, let me show you harsh>;}

I saw this post as one with the intent of getting a response from a "professional forum" and taking the evidence back as a lever to negotiate with the contractor.

I find that despicable. Now that is harsh.

Rich, I have pondered the pro v. diy issue to the point I am confused.
                    One thing I have decided from this pondering is the homers that come here, and this post is from a homer, come in, cause some activity and leave giving nothing back to the general population.

That is not acceptable to me. I did not accept this moderator opportunity to babysit a bunch of homers.

BTW, what is keeping you from filling out your profile?

Bill R

Comment

Hi everyone, I really, really want to thank you so much for your honest feedback and the education as well. Truthfully, I'm just a very analytical person, and I like to understand the "why" behind things. Must be the engineer in me.

I appreciate the information regarding the installation and price differences The prices I had received were from Stock builidng suppy in my area which led me to estimate $200 delta based soley on material/sq ft. Again, I'm no expert, and I really just wanted to get a better understanding behind this process.

I do have confidence in my builder, and now that I have a bit more detailed feedback regarding the actual installation process from professionals in the field, I feel much better about going with hardishingles from the get-go.

Again, I really do want to thank you all for your feedback, and I apologize if you feel that I've misused the forum. I hope you all have a great week!

Comment

Bill,
                        I too have considered the pro vs DYI question before,and as I said I don't find it a problem--I usually don't follow those threads.I don't feel anyone here would sabatoge a fellow contractor with mis-information or give leverage to the customer.I can understand your frustration though--I don't expect you to babysit anyone or waste your time with subjects that are not relavant to the forum.I do appreciate the fact that you and the other moderators on this site activley participate and share your time.Thanks.There are lots of sites where that does'nt happen.
                        As for my profile I guess I've always felt it was like a reference on a job app and nobody would check it anyway.I'll go do it for you.
                        Rich

Comment

Thanks for your thoughtful and measured reply Rick.
                          We are on the same path, glad you are here.

I do look at the profiles to get a better idea of who I am dealing with.
                          Thanks again,
                          Bill R

Comment

Thanks Bill
                            Rich

Comment

Thanks guys for the kind words

Bill I think this went rather well

Jules
                              The Hardie shakes look awsome when properly done, you will be glad you spent a little more. There are some pictures on my website of houses I have done but not of the Hardie shakes. This will motivate me to get some added

Mark

www.parleebuilders.com
                              Mark Parlee
                              EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X