Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

cutting cultured marble vanity tops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting cultured marble vanity tops

I am a trim carpenter in southern WI. The GC I sub-contract from buys stock size marble tops we have to cut to fit between walls. Has any one used a saw blade or router bit to cut this material with, and have good results? Tops are usually 72 3/4" long vanities 72" with small filler. I have tried to talk him into just making openings bigger but havn't had any luck. Thanks for any info. Pinecrest

Re: cutting cultured marble vanity tops

I have successfully cut them with a masonry blade in a circular saw, as well as a smaller abrasive blade in an angle grinder. Tried using a diamond wheel in the angle grinder, but it didn't cut very well. Keep in mind, the cut edge was not pretty, but it was covered up with a side splash.

Good luck.

Comment

Pinecrest- I usually just use whatever blade is in my circular saw to cut them, (from underneath when possible), and clean the cut up with a belt sander. I never use the side splashes.

Mike.

Comment

We've belt-sanded edges for minor scribing - 36 or 50 grit.

Comment

You can make a real nice cut with a masonry blade in a skil saw. It's no big deal at all.

Whatever you do, cut outdoors and do not breath the dust. Any type of fine masonry dust has the long-term effect of causing silicosis, a serious lung condition.
          "If you only have a hammer, all problems look like nails"

Vintage wood window repair and restoration in Chicago
          Wood storm windows in Chicago
          Weatherizing vintage buildings in Chicago

Comment

I used a masonry blade in a circular saw for years, which really does work fine for most applications. But 4 or 5 years back, I tried using a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade and never looked back. Now, I can make a cleaner cut with a grinder than I ever could with a saw. It is great for cutting the inevitable crooked scribe line. And with a grinding wheel installed, I can grind off any high spots on the bottom side of the top that hold the top off the cabinet. I also use the grinder for cutting off and/or splitting pre-cast columns. It's a great little tool. Very versatile.

Paul
            "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Comment

Cirular saw and a belt sander.

Comment

4 1/2 grinder works great.I clamp a striaght pc of wood to the top and let the grinder sheild ride up against it. A good diamond wheel will make a nice cut Make a few practice cuts and get a feel of how the tool reacts to the material. First cut your just trying to follow a line. Make a few passes not just one cut. Let us know how you make out. Hope this helps

Neil DeStefano

Comment

A tip shared with me from a cultured marble installer. Pull the saw backwards through the cut. It will push the dust underneath the piece and cut down on the amount of air borne dust. I tried it and it does help. As others said, cut outside, preferably with some wind pushing the dust away from you.

Comment

Working...
                  X