Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Grim Reminder

Default A Grim Reminder

Grand Strand worker dies in fall: Associated Press MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. -

A man working on a new house has died after he fell from the roof.
    Patrick Dunn, 47, slipped around 5 p.m. Tuesday and fell about 7 feet. He landed on his back and shoulder and died from spinal cord and neck injuries, Horry County Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard said.
    Dunn was working on a home in the Wood Lakes subdivision near Garden City Beach.
    It is the first fatal construction accident in Horry County this year, Willard said.
    No construction deaths were reported in 2005, while at least three people died while working construction jobs in Horry County in 2004.

A reminder of the business were all in. Makes me sad.
    Two roads diverged in a narrow wood. I took the path less traveled.
    http://renov8u2.com
    http://reverbnation.com/cortezthekillers

Default Re: A Grim Reminder

Poor guy. Does the report mention anything about site conditions?

Thanks for posting it, Carl - 6' fall protection always seems like overkill (poor choice of words I guess), but apparently it's not.

I hate hearing that. One of our most experienced guys fell of a roof and he was lucky to only compound break his wrist. I don't know how he isn't paralyzed he landed right on his butt.

If you want to see grim stories of construction accidents, check out OSHA's "Fatal Facts"

http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/toc_FatalFacts.html

i feel sorry for that man and his family. i was working with my old man on a roof slate job. the house did not have a backfill. we were about thirty feet up. were on the middle of the roof laying down walkers. the roof pitch was 10/12 i guess early in the day we cut out our ridge vent and did not clean the saw dust. so here i am on the outside edge and my old man is on my right as i climb up ot nail the walker i slip on the saw dust, and begn sliding down. OH MY GOD im going to die, i was making some crazy sounds coming down, i was about two feet from falling when my old man slid the 2x4 walker under my feet and caught me. i will never forget that feeling in my stomach. that was ten years ago and im getting goose bumps just typing and reliving it in my head. osha would of fined us but we were deep in the woods. i love my old man. he was always there for me.
    -Alain Bagagem-

It will be two years ago in June that one of ours slid of a roof. 9/12 pitch that was fully staged except the last 5-6 ft. Other than myself, this man was the most experienced on the job that day. At some point in the morning everyone else on the crew mentioned to him that he should have at least a bottom board at the eave. He, just like I have many times before, figured he was OK. When he slid off the roof, about 9 ft. to the lawn, he landed on his heels and fell over. 2 burst vetebrae, still out of work and probably won't return.

We now require 2 men anytime a ladder is involved regardless of the job at hand. It illustrates how we become comfortable with risking life and limb when we do it enough.

15 years ago - Old pump jacks (NOT MY EQUIPMENT!!!) triming gable end dutch coloinal - gravel backfill- 20 + feet high - pump jack let go (In Half??) -me and a buddy landed on a gravel mattress - I was 23 at the time - and in good shape landed with gods blessing and started doing Interior trim after some rehab - if I take one step up a ladder I have full gear and life lines on - even for cleaning my gutters ( which I know do with an air hose!) - I love what I do and want to keep doing it !!!! -

My dad built a three story barn in norther california. The roof had two pitches due to an off center ridge. 45 degrees on one, 30 degrees on the other. Standard wiggle board and metal roofing. One trip we saw the wind had got under the gable lookouts and lifted off and peeled back some of the metal roofing allowing rain to get into the top floor. As my brother and I scurried up the ladder to tack it down it began to rain. My brother got on the roof and was making his way to the ridge on the 30 degree side as I followed up the ladder with tools and materials.

As the rain picked up he slipped and started to come down. He grew talons just as fast as he could and dug them in. I stuck a board up to under his feet and we slowed his decent to a crawl. I finally got a hand on him and stopped him completely, but he wasn't able to move back to the ladder until I had nailed some cleats through the roof below him. He was pretty twitchy working the edges the next summer when we finished re-roofing that side. I had to nail on some rolled roofing to keep it dryed in until that summer. I guess Dad always did like him better than me.

On the 45 degree side we just belayed my 11 year old daughter in a climbing harness and had her nail off with the roofing nailer. She had a great time. Don't worry, we'll make more.

Now unless it is a single story 4-5 in 12, I am in full harness and tethers.