Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Metal Framing with Z-Furring Channel

Has anyone used z-furring channel to frame the exterior walls with rigid foam insulation in a basement? If so how did it work and are there electrical boxes made to work with this framing method? I have the Deitrich Metal Framing master product catalog and I was looking to explore other framing options for framing basements.Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Metal Framing with Z-Furring Channel

In short, yes, it works fine if the walls are reasonbly flat. Maybe thats stating the obvious. You know, I never even thought of the boxes as an issue. Here, if you mount them to the wall like that, - the concrete wall that is - you've automatically guaranteed that you're going to have metal boxes and conduit. So the rigid just gets cut around.
    Now, other options . . . I know 90% of the world tends to frame and put FG batts in but theres a lot of info out there if you're looking that has some great arguments as to why thats just plain lousy practice. Mold issues, for starters. Rigid xps on the outside walls then frame inside of that , better answer.
    I love steel framing in basements. Personal pref, 1 5/8 20 ga. Don't use more floor space than you have to, its sturdy, and steel makes going over that wavy floor sooooo easy. And pipes. And soffiting . . . its just simple. And heck, carrying 20 studs at a time down the steps instead of the alternative. I usually grab a handful of 2x4's as well - for doors, and then a bunch of offcut blocks that I just drop sideways in the bottom track between studs. Now when you run base you can shoot anywhere but the stud and hit something the nails will hold in.

R-Weber-

I was going to use my own basement as a test job. I had all the intentions of using metal studs to do my basemant as well as other ones professionally. I was reading the issues associated with fiber glass batts, which is what interested me about the z-furring and rigid foam insulation. When I bought the house it had a finished basement, I douched it out. Wood studs, 1960's panneling,3/8 drywall under that,and plastic VB over studs,under that was FB. There was moisture and mold! But it wasnt too bad.

Assuming the walls is reasonably flat if it wasnt you could use a fanfold foam leveling board behind the z-furring and nail over it. It seamed like a easier way to frame and insulate at the same time, and I bet cheaper. I would 3 5/8 studs for the interior.

Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing. The channel only gets tricky where you hit a window or something else that you think you want to box out. Then you have to kind of just make a frame around it and get it to hold the foam in.
    When I think of an unlevel wall, theres no fanfold in the world . . . I dunno what you guys run into out east. We have some awesome basement jobs around here. Usually block that got set about WWII. From the sill to the middle of the wall there's a 2-3" bulge that got stopped only by putting in I beams . . . those older houses, real challenge. Lots of things to address before you even think about finishing the bsmt.

My house is a 1950's ranch, and it was a poured foundation by a drunk crew,lol. But I will way out all my framing/insulation options. One concern is that I was goint to use UGL Dryloc to seal the interior cement walls. But the manfacturer recommends direct contact with the cement because it absorbs and expands in the pores with 2 coats applyed by brush (its real thick), and my walls have been painted and pealing and areas.I did a at home lead test in it came up negitive, but there is no way Im blasting off the paint to get to the cement surface. I have a 3yr old and a 5 month old daughters in the house and there is absoultly no way in hell that Im going to create that much dust. Im wondering if I could wet the walls, scrape what I can,use the UGL and use 6mil poly against the cement and foam and frame as planned?

oh and I gave beveled (cement) basement windows and thant have metal track and are cemented in the RO, which Im thinking of having a company cut square and frame with PT and install new vinly windows. So framing the wall around that will be a challange but Im sure I can figure something out.

As far as cost goes it will be close to a wash, but for workability and labor savings you will be money ahead. As far as the wall being out, I have found stringing it out and locating your lows and shooting to your highs then shimming with plastic horseshoe shims, like the ones glaziers, then fill the lows and step up to a longer powder pin to achieve proper pin imbeb works out quite well. In terms of window openings, all the metal fabricators offer an angle or can custom break a closure angle to close the four sides of the opening and to flush them out for a good clean hang. Don't be afraid to ask you supplier for odd items that will help, the lin. ft. cost may seem high but more often than not you make up the cost in labor. I understand that it is your own home, but no matter what time is $$$$.
    Last edited by TracyMc; 02-27-2006 at 01:36 PM.