Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default organizational chart & work flow process software?

I want to make an organizational chart and work flow process chart for our company. Has any one done this before, can you give any sources of information on the subject? Is there any software in particular that would help to facilitate the process, needs to be Mac friendly. I think it could be done in Excel, but have looked a OmniGraffle chart & diagramming software, anyone ever used that? -Jud

Default Re: organizational chart & work flow process software?

OmniGraffle 4 for the Mac. I also like OmniOutliner 3 too and have been using them both all weekend long as I've been working on developing our new business plan.
    Last edited by Jerrald Hayes; 01-08-2006 at 11:23 PM.

I realize now that I should have also mentioned Inspiration. I used to use it all the time back in my OS 9 days but Omnigraffle came as part of the bundle on one of my OSX Macs so I never upgraded Inspiration to an OSX version. Thinking of it again this morning I just downloaded the 30 day trial so that I could see how I like it compared to Omnigraffle.

Jerry-
    Do you know if PowerPoint has the capability to make flow charts ?

Jerry-
    Any opinion on the two software’s, or even if I really need them or just use Excel ?
    Have you ever run across any articles on the subject ? I Goggled “Work flow process for construction” but didn’t really find much.

Quote Originally Posted by jud aley
    Jerry-
    Any opinion on the two software’s, or even if I really need them or just use Excel ?
    Have you ever run across any articles on the subject ? I Goggled “Work flow process for construction” but didn’t really find much.
    Well Omnigraffle and Inspiration are very different tools than Excel so maybe I am not really understanding just what it is you are trying to accomplish.

What I use Omnigraffle (and used to use Inspiration) for are Organization Charts, Systems Diagrams (cause & effect and fishbone diagrams), and Value Stream Maps which are a Lean Thinking/ Lean Construction Tool. You can probably google anyone of those phrases and eventually find some examples.

However if you are trying to diagram a production process charting and mapping it on a task by task basis to plot and determine dependencies and visualize Critical Paths you might find Shared Plan which allows you to build a Network Diagram otherwise known as a CPM or PERT Chart useful too. (a typical Shared Plan Chart).

It really depends I guess on just what you are trying to accomplish.

In our organization we use OrgPlus Enterprise. It is simple software to convert data into visual which helps facilitate the process. http://www.humanconcepts.com

Quote Originally Posted by jud aley View Post
    I want to make an organizational chart and work flow process chart for our company. Has any one done this before, can you give any sources of information on the subject? Is there any software in particular that would help to facilitate the process, needs to be Mac friendly. I think it could be done in Excel, but have looked a OmniGraffle chart & diagramming software, anyone ever used that? -Jud
    for work flow and org, I prefer creately online software. Since you are a business I recommend a paid version of org chart software.

There are a ton of online technical drawing tools for making flowcharts, org charts and the like. For one-time use any of them (Creately, Dia (a free product), SmartDraw and Lucidchart) are all OK. They're drag/drop and will let you assemble a good-looking chart fairly quickly.

Go to www.alternativeto.net and search on "Visio" (the original diagramming software) - Click the "Alternative to " tab and you'll get a laundry list of Visio alternatives.

The attachment below was created using Microsoft Visio Professional. The Pro version of Visio allows you to import data files from spreadsheets to create the basic chart. When we first start working with a company, we have clients fill out an Excel spreadsheet we developed which details relationships between the people in the company. That spreadsheet is imported into Visio Pro to create the basic chart, and then we dress it up manually to convey the relationships between departments,workflow, etc. per the note at the bottom. The use of the import template saves hours of manually drawing the chart. Two versions of the template - one "Reports To" by peoples' names - the other is "By Position" Since a single employee can only report to ONE entity - the use of these templates forces companies to adopt a clear chain of command, vs. having one person co-reporting to multiple management (terrible HR management practice)

For workflow diagrams we don't use the drag-and-drop software at all. Too time-consuming. Instead we use one of two products. My personal favorite is called AllClear the publisher is ProQuis - http://www.proquis.com/

AllClear will work like any other drag-and-drop diagramming software, but it has a unique feature - you type out a text document with your workflow steps, and AllClear draws the diagram as you type. This is absolutely the way to go when doing a process improvement project - you can interview someone and generate the drawing in almost real time by typing the steps as they explain them. Here's a YouTube video about how this works http://youtu.be/d55tyXHUlhE

The other automatic diagramming tool I personally use is called "Flowbreeze" - it's an Excel add-in. Similar to AllClear in that you can type in process steps (in a spreadsheet though), and it will generate the diagram for you. Flowbreeze is strictly for workflow diagrams - it won't help you much with Org charts.
    http://www.breezetree.com/flowcharting-software/
    http://youtu.be/lJmV4pI2ReY (YouTube Demo - silent)

Hope this helps
    JLS
    Attached Files Attached Files
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================