Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: T&G Carsiding in Sunroom

Hey Stayfair, WAIT JUST A MINUTE HERE!! . You can't use drywall NOW, Not after all THIS!!!

You're going to have to Alternate carsidings from out west, down south and up north, blind nailing AND face nailing.

And we want some PICTURES when you're done.

jimc

LOL, Jim. I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, are you boys talking 'bout what we call "Novelty Board?" 1x8 w/ a cove at the top?

Bingo, Allan! The picture is car siding, or 117. And yes, the V-joint I referred to is properly called V-joint centermatch.

finally thats what car siding is..

Bjorn

I think that what we have found is that car siding means different things in different parts of the country. What Allan has posted we call "clapboard" around here, not car siding. My mill has been in business for 130 years, but I don't see any siding in their catalog, I'll try to stop by and see what they call it. I established an account with them in 1957, so I've been buying from them for 48 years.
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

Dick,
    If you can accept this, clapboard siding is yet another type of siding. Similar to car siding, but rather than a twin teardrop profile, it can have either a single or twin tapered profile, with squared edges rather than rounded. It too has shiplap edges.

Traditional clapboard siding is, of course, still available and referred to by many as tapered siding. These are single boards, no t&g or shiplap, and are/were face nailed. It got it's name from loose siding 'clapping' in the wind.

I haven't heard these types of siding mentioned in a long time. Kinda makes me feel old. But I bought and sold many thousands of feet of all of them before plywood siding took over.

Paul

Interesting discussion. Where I grew up in the Midwest, many of the product names you guys are throwing around meant slightly different things.

Can someone explain the origin of the term "105 siding" and "117 siding"? That's new to me.

STayfair: Right, like you're going to get away with that now...

Here's a good page with all profiles. Great discussion. I never knew any of these numbers.
    Gary

http://www.lakesidelumber.com/siding/siding-pattern.htm

Thanks Gary, I've used all of them here in the Bay Area, except what they call Pattern 115 and what they call Channel Rustic. What they call Pattern 105 we call Channel Rustic, what they call Pattern 117 we call Clapboard, and what they call Pattern 137 we call "V Rustic". What we call "Car Siding" is always 2x T&G material and never used as siding, but only as ceiling decking, I worked on a cabin up in the mountains in the early '50s and T&G 2x6 "Car Siding" was used in a post and beam cabin set in between the posts as siding, a 1½" thick wall between 4x6 posts 7' on center. We used another product we called "Car Decking" which was 2x6 or 2x8 T&G decking which had no V groove, it was used for subfloor over 4x girders on 4' center before it was displaced by 1 1/8" 2-4-1 plywood (this system is now illegal in California because they can't carry shear through it and you play Hell trying to add on to a house with either of these 4' oc systems, also setting a grand piano on them was tough because one leg would always end up in the center of a bay and sag it down, and you can't tile over them without crawling under the house and installing intermediate joists [which also violates the code because the whole idea of the 4' oc systems is that you have no joists and take advantage of the 12" off grade exception for girders, installing intermediate "joists" is illegal since they should be 18" off grade]).

It's interesting that none of their "Bevel Siding" is rabbited, all of our bevel siding is rabbited, otherwise it wouldn't lay flat against the wall and would split when you nail it. I did one job as an apprentice where we used 1x12 rough redwood boards horizontally and lapped them much as they do their bevel siding, we carpenters hated it because it tended to split since it didn't lay flat against the wall much like the Hardie they use now, but the old carpenters called it "Drop Siding". 1x12 requires threee nails and the center nail always split the redwood (we were always told 2 nails up through 1x10, 3 nails on 1x12, install only one nail while installing the siding, come back just befoer the house was to be painted and put in the other nails).

I have an old Redwood Pattern book somewhere around here, but I've looked everywhere and can't find it, I know I never would have thrown that book away, so it's somewhere along with my pine molding book.
    Last edited by Dick Seibert; 10-07-2005 at 08:02 PM.
    “It is not an endlessly expanding list of rights —the “right” to an education; the “right” to health care; the “right” to food and housing. That is not freedom. That is dependency. Those are not rights. Those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

There are several other patterns of siding besides what's been mentioned:

Allan, where do these numbers come from?

Quote Originally Posted by hdrider_chgo
    Allan, where do these numbers come from?
    I'm not sure how these profiles were labeled with these numbers, but there are profiles for each one listed.

Quote Originally Posted by jim@miterclamp.com View Post
    Hey Stayfair, WAIT JUST A MINUTE HERE!! . You can't use drywall NOW, Not after all THIS!!!

You're going to have to Alternate carsidings from out west, down south and up north, blind nailing AND face nailing.

And we want some PICTURES when you're done.

jimc
    This is an old thread but it is my first one I have read here. I found your site by searching "car siding" and the 294 other names for it. I got a headache trying to follow this but somehow enjoyed it too! :)

Whatever it's name, called car siding by local big box, is T&G and on sale so I am using it. Maybe I'll just make up my own name for it.

You are probably aware that names & uses change depending on area in country and world.

Going back to re-read rest of thread. You guys sound real smart-like and informative. Glad I found you.

Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by sparking View Post
    You guys sound real smart-like and informative. Glad I found you.
    So this bunch of knuckleheads managed to fool you that easily? I've got a bridge for sale if you're interested- I'll make you a great deal.........lol

Bob

Car siding here is also called edge and center bead or beadboard not to be confused with butterfly board, and is installed vertically. Similar profile to GP ply-bead plywood. One side has 2 beads and 2 flats other side is flat with V groove on edges. It was used originally on the inside of railroad dining cars.