Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

T&G Carsiding in Sunroom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&G Carsiding in Sunroom

Hi all,

I'm building a sunroom (for myself) this fall and was considering 6" or 8" T&G carsiding for a ceiling finish in the sunroom. I've only installed carsiding a couple times in the past.

My question is, is it common to face nail this size carsiding if you are not painting it? I like the look of unfinished pine but I'm not sure if it should be face nailed (in the field) or not. Also, the rafters are on 24" centers...is it fine just to nail or would anyone suggest glue as well?

On the other two jobs we pretty much toe-nailed the carsiding through the tongue and didn't have any face nails. It didn't seem like the best method to me at the time, but that's what we did.

Tom
    Tom...just a carpenter.

Re: T&G Carsiding in Sunroom

what is car siding?

Comment

Also known as 117 siding. It's kind of a teardrop pattern, I believe 1x8.
      ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

I still don't know what it looks like!

If it's T&G, I'd normally install it with the tongue out and blindnailed. There's nothing wrong with toenailing t&g. I hate face nails.
        Gary

Comment

Also known as drop siding, very common on old sheds, etc. in the midwest. Think beadboard with a bevel instead of a bead, and applied horizontally instead of vertically.
          "If you only have a hammer, all problems look like nails"

Vintage wood window repair and restoration in Chicago
          Wood storm windows in Chicago
          Weatherizing vintage buildings in Chicago

Comment

Car siding, huh? It's been many years since I've seen that. I didn't even know it was still available. How much does it cost now?

All of you have seen car siding (117 siding, Thanks Allan) at one time or another. It, along with 105 siding were the preferred choice of siding materials in the days before T1-11 and other plywood siding materials. I would dare say that better than 75% of all wood sided homes built between the 30's and 70's were covered with 117 or 105 siding, except possibly in the northeastern states. Car siding came in 1x6 and 1x8 and had a twin teardrop profile. The name car siding came from a similar profile used on early railroad cars. 105 siding has a flat face with a 1 1/2" concave top edge along it's length. Both patterns have ship lap joints.

Stayfair, I would suspect what you are referring to is actually 1x6 or 1x8 twin V-joint, which has a flat surface with a v-joint down the middle and forming another v-joint when two boards are placed together. It does have t&g edges. If it is v-joint, it is preferable to use blind nailing to install, but if you want to face nail, go ahead. It is you that will have to look at the nails.

Paul
            "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Comment

I've used truck and trailer loads of it in 2x6 and 2x8 T&G configurations, we use it for open beam ceilings because it spans 7'. Here is another picture of it in 1x8 size used as paneling.
              "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

Dick,
                Your pictures are of 1x and 2x single V-joint siding, not car siding. However, many people mistakenly refer to v-joint siding as car siding since that is what they have always called it, not realizing they are two separate types of siding.
                "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Comment

J~
                  So it's got to have a V joint down the middle to be car siding? The 2x V joint which I show is what the lumber yards around here always called car siding. I've never heard the 1x called car siding, only the 2x, we call the 1x just 1x8 T&G. Most of the 2x I've bought was in pine in the '50s but turned to hemlock in the '60s and later.
                  "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

Dick,
                    No. If you read my earlier post, you would have read that car siding has a twin teardrop pattern with ship lap edges. No mention of a v-joint. A flat face material with t&g and v-joint down the middle would be...twin v-joint. Your pictures are single v-joint (no v down the middle). 1x8 t&g, without v-joint or beaded edging called for, would be flat and have no profile, ie: wood flooring.
                    Last edited by iwoodknot; 10-06-2005, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Car siding installation pictures.
                      The author describes the material used on this project as "carsiding" right at the bottom of the page.

Materials Used:

1x6 Tongue-and-Groove Carsiding
                      2" Maze Siding Nails

Click here to see the pictures.
                      Al
                      www.multiblades.com

Comment

Al:

I did not see anything there that looked like car siding (117), it all looked like 105 siding. And the 105 siding I'm familiar with is not tongue and groove, more like lapped.

Comment

Alan,
                          Since the author called it carsiding I thought that will be it.
                          I’m sure you are right. This is another area I know nothing about.
                          Al
                          www.multiblades.com

Comment

What I've considered and seen as carsiding was a 1x8 with a v-groove in the middle. When two pieces are joined (T&G) they create a v-groove too.

All that being said, I think I'll go with drywall;)

Thanks.

Tom
                            Tom...just a carpenter.

Comment

I believe what you've described is called V Joint Centermatch. Attached is a picture of car siding, also called 117 siding.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X