Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Water damage to wall, drywall needs to be replaced or not?

Please see attached pics. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have an area in my 2-story home that is open to below...it is a long wall that goes from floor all the way to the cieling...it has two windows in it. The top window leaked considerably during Hurricane Katrina...water was pouring in and waterfalled down to the tile floor. On the other window...located at eye level, I had window blinds inside mounted. According to my wife, water was coming out of these holes where the mounting hardware was for the blinds. In other words...water DID get into my walls...but I am just wondering how much. She told me there was about 1-2 inches of water on the floor and that she was mopping the whole night during the storm. The baseboards have began to warp and the there is mold behind them. WE NEVER LOST POWER..so it has been cool and dry in the home. I have heard that drywall can dry quickly and does not need to be removed if gets wet. I have also heard that it DOES need to be removed and replaced. Not only that, what if the water got behind the drywall and got the insulation wet ? The builder is coming tomorrow to gut the entire wall and replace it. Do you think this is necessary ? Should I take my chances and not worry or have them go ahead and replace the wall. What is your take on water damage and mold issues ? I really dont want to deal with construction peple in my home for God knows how long tearing stuff up and making a complete mess, but then again..I definitely want to avoid any mold issues. Thanks for the help

Norm in Miami, FL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Water damage to wall, drywall needs to be replaced or not?

Tough call.

The baseboard is coming off for sure. Drill a few holes and see what dribbles out?

I've found that sheets have to get wet repeatedly before I've seen signs of mold growth, but mine is a pretty arid climate and FL is sure to be more humid.

Seems like the insulation sponges would be the main problem. What's the cladding on the outside? Any airflow there?

Is the builder proposing to affix new sheets right away? Was the framing sufficiently soaked to worry about the timber swelling/twisting?

Obviously, fix the cause before the next rainfall.

"She told me there was about 1-2 inches of water on the floor and that she was mopping the whole night during the storm."

Good for her (and you)! Mine would have had me downstairs while she was curled up in bed! C'mon, give us the trick....

Default Re: Water damage to wall, drywall needs to be replaced or not?

IF the wall is insulated, they normally take off the bottom two feet or drywall all around the perimeter, pull the insulation and dry out the walls with fans, then replace. It is the insulation that has the water that will later be used to feee/water the growing mold.