Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

How much for a roofing square?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for a roofing square?

Can anyone give me the average rate to charge for a roofing square on a 6 For ripping off and replacing shingles. also for a basic 10 pich.

Thanx

Re: How much for a roofing square?

Oh,.. and I'm inthe wisconsin area if that helps or matters

Comment

If it's one thing people can't help others with on this forum it is telling you what to charge for a job. Nobody but you know what kind of markup and profit you need to stay in it. I could tell you that it goes for about $350 per square in my area in CT but that can't possibly help you. Call up some local roofers and ask them, then compare that to what you need to make. That's all anyone can help you with here.

Aaron
      Aaron Keathley
      Keathley Building & Remodeling

Comment

I'm a roofing contractor and I have a rule I don't give out prices over the phone. I can usually tell when it's someone wanting to know how much to charge so they can bid a job. I prefer to let them learn the hard way what to charge, too little and they lose money, too much and they don't get the job.

Comment

wow are my eyes crossed or what ? $350 a square would put me into roofing he he. guess the tipping fees are outrageous ?

Comment

its all about where you live
            I did one last year @ 700.00 a square
            You cant fire me. I haven't done anything!

Comment

Yes, pricing generally countrywide is totally unpredictable. Even within one simple area is and can be much different.
              Call your local roofers for a price as is kindly suggested. Many terribly highs are coming your way as well and many terribly lows.
              After the disaster in the SE, plan to work less and have problems with materials roofing.
              Presently shingles here are anywhere between 200/SQ and a Million/SQ

Comment

What sucks is we get $125-$170 a square here in Dallas for 30 year Asphalt.

I wish we could get $300.

Comment

Zack,

You may be able to if you set your price higher and maybe target a different client base. Is there any higher income areas you can work in nearby? You never get what you don't ask for..
                  Good Luck.

Aaron
                  Aaron Keathley
                  Keathley Building & Remodeling

Comment

Originally posted by ARKeathley
                    Zack,

You may be able to if you set your price higher and maybe target a different client base. Is there any higher income areas you can work in nearby? You never get what you don't ask for..
                    Good Luck.

Aaron

I agree. It also depends on many variables. I hate estimating by square or square foot alone. Factors to consider: What is the condition of the roof deck? WHat is the condition of the flashing? How many penetrations? How much does a dumpster cost in your area? How cheap can you get roofers? How fast can they or you do it? Do you know if they are trustworthy? Show up on time or at all? Do you ahve to truck them to work? Do you have to hold their hand or will they work on their own? What time of year is it? What kind of shingles are you putting on? What kind of underlayment you using? Using bitch? How much and where? Doing metal? Flashing? Fix chimney flash? Is it going to rain all next week? Do they have shrubbery around the house? Is it two stories up or one? How many valleys? Weave or cut or metal in the valleys?

capice?

I had one job where we estimated for a whole roof strip and a new roof along with some remodeling we were doing. When it came time to order, my partner on the job complained that we were short materials. I looked on the spread sheet -- we were ten squares off on our estimate due what he said was a typo and I swore was him telling me the wrong number. We still disagree on that one.

Oh the lessons you learn!

Comment

Oh and, in NH we can get up to $325 for a strip and maybe I'm low, depending on the customer and the skies the limit for custom slate and copper. We have one guy who says he can do it, but we aren't taking those jobs. There's a guy in town who is a real artisan and and he's the nicest most humble guy around, i'd sub all that kind of work out to him instead of doing it. We aren't really roofers, but we end up doing it now and again.

Anyway, you drive down south a little and you can get much much more. But many around here would rather sit at home and watch the ballgame than be bothered with driving down south to MA. Fine with me.

Oh a story:

We were working on a roof and we had a new guy workign with us. He said he was a roofer for six years. We were happy, he moved quickly and could lay a straight course, so what more can you ask?

I wasn't on the job that day, so my partner related this to me, he said all was fine until he noticed the chimney. The whole roof was stripped around it which was fine, then he saw little grey peices of something laying around it. He got closer.

There on the deck were all the peices of original lead flashing, ripped from the masonry chimney, nothing left on the chimney for lead but big gaping holes in the mortar.

He called over the guy, "Oh we always do that in Ohio when we strip, then we just put the new shingles up to it."

So the chimney now had to wear a stupid looking shingle skirt all around to hide her gaping holes. He was real lucky he could lay a shingle fast and straight.

Comment

i needed a new roof on a restoration 2 1/2 years ago in eastern north carolina....went to the busiest roofer i knew of and was quoted $65 a square for tear off and 25 year install, included a square of sheathing repair...wrote him a deposit so fast he looked to see if i signed it lol.....he still charges the same thing but he is always 4 weeks behind.

Comment

At $65/square, what he's "4 weeks behind" on is probably his mortgage and truck payments.......

Bob

Comment

65 a square for tear off and new roof labor and materials?
                            no way! give me his phone number I will send him a plane ticket
                            You cant fire me. I haven't done anything!

Comment

65$ a square, must be a lot of amigos!!! that hardly covers material. I don't even know if it does cover materials shingles are about 12$ a bundle 3-4 bundles per square depending on shingle brand, felt, aluminum drip edge. (copper would cost to much) and fastners.. I hope the guy really strips the roof.. plywood is $100.00 a sheet remove and install around here.

Bjorn

Comment

Working...
                              X