Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Framing strap for wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing strap for wall

Hi All,
    I live in York PA. I'm building a one car garage attached to the existing house. The inspector said I needed some kind of a "strap" connected to the plate running along the studs to the top of the header. I've been building for 33 years and I don't have a clue what he's talking about. Do any of you? Does Simpson make a tie to meet this code?

Re: Framing strap for wall

Originally posted by Barry Dennis
    Hi All,
    I live in York PA. I'm building a one car garage attached to the existing house. The inspector said I needed some kind of a "strap" connected to the plate running along the studs to the top of the header. I've been building for 33 years and I don't have a clue what he's talking about. Do any of you? Does Simpson make a tie to meet this code?
    Since it wasn't on your plans and you've never done it before just like I've never done it before either, this inspector should tell you what kind of strap to put on. There's all kinds of straps. Ask him what he wants and the model number or whatever number meets the code and you'll do it.You shouldn't have to guess at it. It's sounds like he has no idea either.
    Joe Carola

Comment

If you are like a lot of framers you are lucky to get a floor plan let alone ,construction details. Joe is right the building inspector should tell you at the least what the code requires . I am fairly certain the inspector will not specify the type or size that would be up to the designer. Here we are required to use a rafter tie to connect the roof truss to the top wall plate. The bad thing is the inspectors don't seem to care if they are sized correctly for the load or even if they are nailed properly just if they are there. This is because most do not know how to size them they just know the book says they have to be there.

More to the point are you talking about the over head door header??? The size of strapping would be determined by the roof span, up lift force, and header span. Some places do not require strapping if you use solid sheathing and meet the nailing schedule specified. Some codes require a metal strap to start at the door trimer run up the header over the top plate down the inside wall and be attached to the door trimer's. If your code requires the header to be strapped you may find out that the studs may need to be strapped to the sill plate also. There are also instances where you may have a narrow wall and the header would run to the end of the wall and be required to be strapped to the framing members. It is hard to say with out seeing the plans or knowing your particular code.

Comment

Hows this ---
        Maybe the detail he's looking for

Mike S
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Guys. I'm sure thats what he's looking for. Thanks again for your help. And for the picture. That hits the nail on the head.

Comment

Mike:
            Do you guys use web stiffeners?
            Henry

Comment

http://www.trusjoist.com/PDFFiles/6028.pdf

Comment

Mike,

Just curious as to the gap on the first two I-joist between the top plate and the bottom of the joist and on the 3rd I-joist it looks like it's on top of the plate and the microlam looks like threre's a gap between the top plate and the bottom of the micro also.
                Joe Carola

Comment

Joe:
                  Looks like there might have been some deflection (maybe this is a remodel) and they are shimmed up with OSB?
                  Hard to guess from the pic.
                  Henry

Comment

Barry, did inspecter man explain the 'reason' for the strap?
                    Shearwall, up-lift,etc.??

just wondering.

Comment

FramerT:
                      Here is some info on portal frame headers and the use of straps. We have seen this on double bay openings because there are not many studs connecting the plates (foundation to top plate). Don't see too many single bays like Barry's. When the portal is carrying the eave, you want to make sure that puppy stays put.

http://www.trusjoist.com/PDFFiles/2050.pdf

Because it's TJI, you wont see a lot of dimensional sticks there (smile).

Henry

Comment

perhaps the Before picture may clear up the OSB shimming ...
                        The osb was actually a Rim joist we cut --- We had to establish a new Plate line for the second story ----

This is how the jobsite looked when I pulled up, I was subbing the framing for another Contractor - He had a demo crew come in to 'Prep' for me ........

As far as Web stiffeners - Only where there will be a load on it - In the photo above - there is an Engineered rim joist taking the load so no stiffener required there .. Even on bearing partition walls , I find it faster to use double Rim joist blocking rather than a stiffener or a squash block -- It also doubles as blocking to prevent roll over .. I will stiffen for cantelievers & built up openinngs that require Hangers
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Msloggatt; 06-26-2005, 08:36 PM.

Comment

The only thing I can figure out is for uplift.

Comment

Typically, you will only need web stiffeners if you're using a hanger that doesn't go up to the top flange to provide axial twisting. You would also need them if you're using a hanger and taking more load than the joist would allow for. If the joist is taking a load (beit point or linear) you should be using "squash blocks," which are 2x4's cut to 1/8" taller than the joists, and positioned on each side of the joist directly under the load condition. This is only applicable if the joist sets directly on a wall though.
                            Your guy lost. Get over it.

Comment

What do you guys do when the plans call for a double TJI?
                              Fill the web with plywood,dimensional lumber?Nothing?

Comment

Working...
                              X