Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Coping trim with a router

I believe I saw an article in JLC that detailed the steps to making a coping guide for any type of trim that could be followed with a router. Does anyone remember which month/year the article was in JLC or is it just my imagination/wishful thinking? Lots of baseboard trim to cope in the next few weeks on a big commercial remodel. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Coping trim with a router

I remember which one you are talking about. I can't look tonight, but if no one has answered your reply, I will look tomorrow and repost. Basically, you wrap your base or whatever trim you are using in seran(sp?)wrap. Take a couple of short 2x4 (or bigger for bigger trim) and mortise most of the material out of the middle....enough to make a mold for your trim to fit in. Take some expoxy or Durhams rock hard or something like that and spread it in the 2x4's. Put the trim in between the 2x4's and clamp down to make a reverse mold. Let the epoxy harden and in a little while you have a mold. Cut a small portion of your reverse mold off of the end of the 2x4 and mount that perpendicularly to the end of your mold. Slide your base into your mold. I think the article used a table mounted router....run enough base through to stick out past the piece of the mold you screwed on the end and run a 1/4" flush trim bit along your pattern(mold) and you have your cope. I appologize for doing such a piss poor job of explaining....I will just try to find the article because whoever wrote it did a way better job of explaining it than I did. Sorry.

Elijah

The article was writen by G. Katz and I saw him make a demostration of the procedure at the JLC Live in Anaheim this past May.
    It was a half page article and involved the making of a template.
    I don't recall if the article appeared on JLC magazine or on FHB.

It was Gary's article, and if I remember, there was a thread here a few months ago where he said he was less enthusiastic than the article had made him sound - search this forum.

I was just thinking of this! Coming up to trim on another of my houses.... I was thinking about trying this for some PG popular on base......... anyone had luck finding that article? I'll look tonight and post if I find it...
    -J

Its called the coper:
    http://www.thecoper.com

I was thinking of something else........ the Cope Master....which is more of a production machine. The other thing I forgot is it doesnt allow you to do crown.....so the jigsaw is still the choice there.
    I might try making a small jig tonight to try this idea... I can't beleive a 1/4 flush bit would follow the details that well....

-J

In my opinion...ya'll are just putting off the inevitable. Coping takes practice, and practice produces speed.
    I have my flame suit on... :-)

"Quick Coping for Flat Moldings"
    by Dan Papineau
    JLC May 2004 pp164

Darrell-
    I use a jig for my coping.... I'm just using a ghetto CCF after beating the hell out of the baseplate on the good old crappy Skil jigsaw I've got. I can't bring myself to spend the money on the Bosch and CCF.....
    But I was hoping that this router system could speed up my base installation... I'm trimming a spec I'm currently at insulation with and its all paint grade with only one room with crown. I might get bored with little to no trim and add some stuff, but thats how it sits right now. It'd be nice to just bust out those copes even quicker.....but I just spent the last hour putting together cheap chinese lawn furniture....WHY do I go to the big evil orange box for ANYTHING!
    (Not one bolt hole properly threaded/chased....Thank god for my impact driver :-) evil smirk)

However...the barrel grip does look tempting...

-J

Thank you for the help, found the magazine article. The carpet started going in today. Will try the coping technique sometime late this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts Construction
    I believe I saw an article in JLC that detailed the steps to making a coping guide for any type of trim that could be followed with a router. Does anyone remember which month/year the article was in JLC or is it just my imagination/wishful thinking? Lots of baseboard trim to cope in the next few weeks on a big commercial remodel. Any help would be appreciated.
    Are you from Pittsburgh? I've seen a box van running around with "Roberts Construction" on the side.