Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default labor cost on vinyl siding installation

Hello all,

I was asked to install some vinyl siding on a couple of farm buildings. One is a quonset and the other a grainery. Maximum height will be about 18'. Nothing unusual except the curvature on the quonset. My client wants to keep the old lap siding on and put fanfold insulation and then the vinyl. She wants some sort of estimate by the square. She will provide all the materials from the local lumber yard and I will just simply install. I live in eastern South Dakota and am looking for some ideas on the labor rate for such a job.

Thanks,
    Steven

Default Re: labor cost on vinyl siding installation

How much do you want to make and how long will it take.

That's your formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson
    She will provide all the materials from the local lumber yard and I will just simply install.
    Tell her what to buy and what not to buy or the job may become a nightmare.
    Take a look at the materials before giving your final price and make sure all you need is there before you start the job or you may end up making trips to the lumber yard to get what she forgot to buy.
    Al

I think you'll find that putting vinyl siding on a curved building isn't going to work. Unless the curve is VERY gradual, the panels will kink instead of curving.

Bob

Bob,

I won't be putting the siding on the curved roof that goes down to the ground, only the vertical ends in which the J-moulding will need to curve with the contour of the roof. I see no reason why I couldn't cut the vinyl with a curvature to tuck under the J-moulding.

This is a good customer of mine and it's just that at this point she has limited money and wants to know ahead of time what her costs will be.

I do a multitude of tasks so installing vinyl siding is somthing I do at the odd time. This is why I wanted to get some general guidelines for labor rate.

Steven

Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington

Questions like this seem to come up all the time. I always ask, is this something you have done, and if so, how long will it take? If you can't answer the question then you have very little chance of generating an accurate estimate, and you should probably go T&M.

Summary:

Did it before = this is how long it will take = accurate estimate

Never done it before = not sure how long it will take = W.A.G.

Like Greg says, how long will it take and how much do you want to make?

There are guys hanging vinyl in our area for 65 a square to 105 a square.... I know some of these guys aren't paying themselves much (if anything for office/estimating/business tasks) or aren't carrying the necessary insurance etc.
    The guys I use are hanging at about 85 a square for the double 6" insulated, about 70 for cheap double 4 entry level stuff.
    I however do not recommend using these numbers in any way. We don't know where you are, we dont know if youve got a Hummer sitting in the driveway or a 1980 Ford 150, or if you even reimburse yourself/expense your truck, yourself, your tools, your insurance, etcetcetc.
    You need to take a look over at the markup & profit areas to come up with an effective pricing strategy. Sure there's going to be an hourly rate that goes into that pricing, but thats up to you. I woudl hope you're not paying yourself 8 bucks an hour to hang vinyl 2 stories in the air...especially if its something you don't do day in and day out.
    I usually have more of a smart-arse reply to these questions...but you'll do yourself good to visit the markup & profit forum and readup on all you can. Theres nothing advanced about it...if you can add 7/16's to 3/32's on a tape you can figure out the simple math for the markup method.
    Ask all the questions you can on here, a bunch of great guys are ready and willing to help so take advantage!
    Good luck with bidding & securing that job.

-J

J-

Makes little sense that they're charging MORe to hang double 6 than double 4- seems there's less pieces to handle, cut and nail up with the 6, so shouldn't it go faster???

Just goes to show that there's no rationalizing the way some guys price their labor....lol.

Bob

Yes...but I may not have mentioned that the Double 6 is insulated (the Alcoa brand product...forgot the specific name)....so I'm sure the insulation adds to the cost/time in labor on those panels...although if you're just cutting with a circ or something I might think the semi-rigid panel would be easier to handle....
    who knows... I thought that it would cost more because of the insulation....maybe I'll have him price some double 6 un-insulated for giggles.....is anyone even making that?

-J

Johnson

As a rough price for labor the 65 to 70 /sq is right in the ball park. ( I live in central SD) Keep in mind travel time, scaffolding and clean up. Running vinyl with ladders is tricky at best, and a high Quonset would require scaffolding.. I would never recommend vinyl for what you are doing it never holds up very well in the farm yard. Although I know it is done a lot in your area because of price. The mention of seeing what type of siding she is going to buy on the previous post is a very good one. It sounds like she would buy the cheapest because of price. I will only install premium vinyl. The cheep vinyl will only give booth of you headaches. If I get a client that wants to install entery leval material I will pass on the job. I would also get a copy of the mfg. installation instructions and read up on how to install it. Long solid runs are fast but trickey to not buckle.

We are in NNY, our base rate for labor is 90/sq and adjusted for difficulty or special circs. That covers labor and insurance. I would go for flex J to follow the curve, trim your panels to fit.

Since we started explaining to customers that we charge extra to hang cheap siding we haven't had to deal with it. Good luck with your job.