Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Ceramic tile over vinyl on concrete slab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic tile over vinyl on concrete slab

I am looking for opinions on setting porcelain tiles over well bonded vinyl in a kitchen with a concrete slab floor.
    Years ago I labored to scrape vinyl tiles from concrete slab in a bathroom and set porcelain in thinset mortar. A friend of my client;"the flooring expert"; thought better to leave vinyl tiles and set the porcelain over them.
    Did the 2nd bathroom in same home weeks later "his" way.
    Both floors look and perform the same .
    I now have a request to set a kitchen and laundry area which has sheet vinyl on concrete slab. All vinyl is "securely" fastened to the concrete. The tiles are 13" and will be set with a 1/16" grout line.

Re: Ceramic tile over vinyl on concrete slab

Tileing over vinyl even "well secured" is a BAD idea. what is condition of slab under vinyl?? Who knows unless your superman. They do make producls for this install and it does work SOMETIMES but a pro would not do it to many risks involved. How old is vinyl? Asbestos could be a factor. You should remove vinyl and adhesive for a great install. Is vinyl coushened? Dont want to be doom and gloom but after 30 years I know better. Just my opinion. A job worth doing is worth doing right!!!

Comment

DaveMM,
      Thanks for your reply. The home is only 15 years old so there is no asbestos issue. If I find cracks in the concrete what is my best solution for isolation?
      Jim

Comment

"You should remove vinyl and adhesive for a great install."

Yes. Not fun but worth it!!!

What happens if/when the vinyl underneath becomes "UN"-secured? Then you have floating tile and cracking grout joints.

I pulled up a bunch of vinyl recently to make way for ceramic, and in one spot there was a previous leak that never fully dried, so I'm glad I was able to see the slab and dry it out before I put in the tiles.

Comment

Would removing the tile be recomended for the vinyl asbestos tile as well? I have this on my personal house and I was going to use the Schluter-Ditra. The Tile is from the early 60's and sound. I see more cons than pros removing it, but I'm a window guy not tile.

Bill

Comment

Hello new member here. I have installed tile over vinyl on slab flooring numerous times with no problems. I would cut out a small section and determine the quality of the bonding agent.As well remove any bad spots. In years past we even had vinyl installed on new slab to act as a cheap isolation membrane. I usually rough up the floor with a sander and use additive. As for asbestos tiles these can be more problematic, and I have rented a floor chipper, then used a 2 part thinset (Very expensive)recommended for asphalt based adhesive. It all depends on the condition of slab/vinyl. Dont know if the tile council approves but this has worked for me.

Comment

cwblues

My situation is the same, 15 year old house with vinyl on concrete slab, glued down really good, on kitchen floor. I scrapped it off the 2 bathroom floors and I don't want to scrap the big kitchen floor. I want to put down porcelian tile in the kichen.

You said that you usually rough up the floor with a sander and use additive.

What additive do you use?

Comment

Tile over vinyl is a crap shoot that puts your reputation at risk and entails considerable exposure - not just for the ability of the tile installation to "stick", but also to the potential presence of asbestos.

If you decide to remove the vinyl - which I recommend - do NOT use any chemical strippers as they may provide even less grip. As well, don't use a sander to prep the slab as this will only burnish the surface and reduce bond strength. I prefer a bush-hammer. Yes, big, clunky, noisy, and it requires using protecting padding on surrounding finished surfaces, but I have never seen tiles installed over its rough surface fail.

Trick? After scraping the floor clean, spray a light coat of paint on the surface of the slab. This will prevent removing too much concrete and creating dips and birdbaths. The paint provides a visible clue that the top 1/16-inch of the slab has been removed.

Comment

Working...
                X