Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

stud layout on gable end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stud layout on gable end

Recently helped finish framing house with one 35' end with gable roof (trusses) above. Whoever framed the gable end walls laid out the studs starting from one end of the wall. The end truss had a vertical member ("stud") in the center and the rest of the vertical members were laid out measuring form the center. The problem was that the gable end "studs" didn't match up with the wall studs below. The reason that was a problem was that around here (South GA) it's common practice to overlap the sheathing from the wall into the gable end several feet. For example, on a standard 8' wall we lay the first course of sheathing horizontal and the next vertical, such that it overlaps several feet into the gable end. This provides some rigidity to the gable end, but more importantly helps to tie the roof system to the wall system which is important in high-wind areas. This eliminates the need for metal strapping (gable studs to wall studs), which would otherwise be required in our area.

Now back to the main point: Since the studs didn't match up from the wall to the gable end, the sheathing edges that overlapped into the gable end did not land on studs (vertical members of the truss).

I would have laid out the wall studs on the gable end starting from the center of the wall so that they would match up the vertical members in the end truss above. Is this what others would have done? Would appreciate comments.

Re: stud layout on gable end

Hi BS,
    When I order my trusses I dictate to the truss builder how I want my layout so it works for me. On my layout I always go front to back and left to right. I don't know anyone who does layout from a center of a wall where I work except for modular home builders.

Comment

I met a truss manufacturer salesperson last week about stud placement for 2 gables in a garage I am soon to build. I lap sheathing the same way so I looked at trusses they were fabricating and they were putting the studs in with a fold rule on 24" centers. The 4th stud was 1 1/2" off center and the bottom chord was twisted and crooked plate material. Salesman was bothered that I wanted to look at quality because quote "all trusses are engineered". I have used trusses a few times in the past and always had problems with crooked chords, bowed chords and stud centers. Customer is my helper and was with me looking at this so he's decided to spend the extra and get rafters. You can put external straps on to tie the gable to the lower wall.
      Last edited by Andrew R.; 02-27-2005, 06:33 PM.

Comment

New codes are requiring us to rethink layout.
        It was ok to stagger frame as long as the top plate was a double. Now in the 100-120mph wind zones, we have to Strap the studs together across the second floor, across the gable intersection - On hips the studs are strapped to the rafters.
        This requires stacking. The only way to accomplish this on a Hip is to layout your Common King on the first floor & follow that all the way up. Otherwise you jump off 16oc on the roof & thats a pain.
        On a large gable end I will often layout from center, especially if I have a large window centered in the gable & it's a full cathedral. This way I cut Pairs of studs , one for each side as they are identical. It saves a lot of time.
        If any of you are from LI NY - March 9 I will be discussing Gable end Framing at the Riverhead Building Supply Building clinic & showing the fast method of calculating & cutting these studs.
        Bring your Worm Drive ....

Mike

Comment

I just lay out the walls as usual, lining up the layout from the firstfloor. I don't worry about the plywood lining up from the gable's. If they land the same great, if not, I just throw in a stud wherever the seams didn't line up. Alot less headaches trying to coordinate with the truss manufacturer. he just sends them 2'oc as normal and I worry about the rest.
          RJ Perry
          Liberty Construction LLC
          Warwick RI

Comment

I usually just add some studs to the truss, so they line up with my framing. Trying to explain to the builder about stud layout on a truss would be an exercise in futility.

Greg in snowy Connecticut

Comment

It is assumed in the truss industry, that if you do not specify otherwise, that the gable truss will be studded 24" oc from the center of the truss. An experienced truss salesman will ask you whether you want the truss to be studded 24 or 16" oc. Obviously, 16" oc requires more material which requires more money. On the other hand, an experienced bldr will request gables to be studded per his/her fetish. In this case, i assume that the bldr did not have foresight to order the gable truss and/or frame the walls to match the gables. Often, in order for ideals between bldr and truss salesman to jive, there needs to be a history of relationship in working together. As in any marriage, it takes time to realize the wants, needs, and desires of the offending party:)

Comment

Here is the layout I received a Month before I framed any thing
                I already know where my studs will be. I can than stack frame so my 115mph strapping will line up

Mike
                Attached Files

Comment

Been a couple decades since I've framed at the beach.We had to use 'hurricane clips' on every truss.

So why can't you strap each end of truss down to framing and maybe 1 strap in the middle, down to framing.

Comment

Our New Code Requires:

1 - 3' 20 gage strap per stud

Centered over the rim joist or gable wall plate connection.

I should have bought Simpson stock ....

Every header needs to be strapped from the top plate above it, diagonally past the header to the jack & king studs.

Comment

"I should have bought Simpson stock .... "
                      I too am sobbing.

Comment

Working...
                      X