Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NAHB Show

Default NAHB Show

Joe:

I received a newsletter from SMA showing you as the editor? Is it worth the $199/yr? What I saw looked a little skimpy, do you know what the content will be? I heard Steve Maltzman speak he gave you a big plug. Homesphere is promising Buildsoft 4.0 in April, I think this is the 3rd year in a row they have made that promise, do you hear anything? Didn't I ask you this same question last year and the year before?

What did you think of Orlando? I thought the convention center was great, but for the city I prefer Las Vegas.

Allan

Default Re: NAHB Show

Hi Allan
    The 'newsletter' we gave away at the show was a promo piece for our services - only 4 pages, the real version is 8 or 12. SMA clients will receive it for free as part of their retainage - we're really not selling subscriptions - but you have to have a price in the masthead for the travelling public to satisfy various postal and tax regulations. No different than InformationWeek and other publications like that. Yes the information will be well worth $199/yr. but it's designed to be a supplement to our other services and is aimed more at the production market.

RE: 4.0. Well, they missed yet another huge opportunity - the major show of the year, for the third time in a row. What does that tell you? I think there will eventually be a product, because I've seen late betas of it (briefly - for one minute) but who know when, or if there will be anyone left to purchase it. We're on the list for an NFR copy for review, so as soon as I know something we'll get after it. It's astounding to me that in another full year they couldn't get a release out, but they didn't. CEO Jim Waldrop was on my panel on Saturday - he's a solid guy. My guess is it's he who is putting on the brakes because he knows it's better to not release at all than to release a problem.

What did I think of the show? From a purely consulting standpoint - fantastic. We had great turn-outs at our sessions and we went home with a tremendous number of leads and new business- the best yet. To be honest I was so tied up with SMA stuff that I only went to our sessions and saw the floor for 2 hrs on Sunday and I wasn't looking for anything particular. Didn't see anything that blew my doors off, but I've been going to these for years. Some years have more "new releases" etc than others. I never made it to the South hall at all - too far away.

What did you think of it ?
    JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Joe:

As I said I thought the Orlando convention center was great, it’s brand new, very clean, probably a larger and better facility than the one in Vegas. First day the food facilities seemed a little weak for such a large crowd, but as I learned the layout it got better. I guess you don’t go to conventions for fine food anyway. What can I say about Orlando? It was a great place to take my daughter 15 years ago, but it’s really not as fun as Las Vegas. I bet if you polled builders they would just as soon have it in Vegas every year. Plus they placed me in a horrible hotel (Best Western). I saw Bob Weston and had dinner with him Friday night.

The exhibits were good as always, as were the seminars. I concentrated on the structured wiring-lighting control seminars, there was even one on plasma TV’s. I attended Steve Maltman’s seminar, I’ve heard him speak so many times I think I could give his seminar myself. I’ve learned a lot from him and the Lee Evans Group over the years, he is a very dynamic speaker. I saw his list of builders, that has got to be a goldmine for you. Any builder wanting to grow their company and become more profitable should take a hard look at SMA or the Lee Evans Group.

There is no question about SMA's brand recognition. Pretty cool to have every one of our sessions packed.
    JLS

Joe Stoddard

Allan,

I'd vote for Vegas. I too got in a bad hotel. So bad that Friday night I checked out and wound up finding another 20 miles away in dowtown Orlando. Was a bit of a drive, but worth it to get a good night sleep.

Both Joe and Allan, it was a pleasure meeting you both. Maybe next time I'll get a chance to talk to you a little more Joe, but did enjoy your session.

I personally was extremely impressed by the show. I have never been to one of the bigger shoes, but had a great time walking around in aahh. As for the seminars, I was a bit dissapointed. I only made it to five and two out of the three appeared to be more of a presentation the speakers personal services. I was there for an education on the subject matters, not on education on how to get an education. Your session, was one of the better three, Joe.

Aaron Skoczen

Aaron - thanks. I learned a long time ago that it is really counter-productive to self promote at the IBS beyond just saying who you are. Audiences are very sensitive to that. There's absolutely no need for it since everyone on the program has a reputation or they wouldn't be there to begin with...... and speakers have to agree not to do that anyway.

The exception are the vendor panels, which of course, have vendors on them. Those are listed clearly that way.

I'm on the business management workgroup at NAHB - please email me privately with the other sessions that were advertorials so we can avoid those next year. Seriously.

Orlando housing tip - Lisa (wife) and I rented a great three-bedroom Villa with a private pool in Kissimmee for $100/night (plus $20 or something for pool heat) January is low season for rentals in Mickeyville, and you can find just about anything you want, starting at well under $70/night. Condos, Villas, Executive houses - you name it. The site I used to find a place was www.rentalo.com Many of these properties are owned by people from the U.K. and most are only a few years old. Where we were took about 20 minutes to get to the convention center - very easy once we figured it out.... and only about 10 minutes to Disney for stuff going on there. And 20 minutes to the airport. It was definitely the way to go.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Joe-

Agreed on the condo rentals in Orlando. We rented a two-bedroom unit in October for $70/night. They try to get you to a time-share presentation, but it's easy to avoid it if you try. We were 10 minutes from Disney on 194, which sounds like the same area you mentioned.

Having a kitchen and laundry room sure makes it easy with a 1 y/o and a 3 y/o.

Bob

If you don't want TimeShare presentations - look for privately owned homes and book them thorugh Rentalo.com
    JLS

Joe Stoddard