Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete stem wall and floor price?

I was asked to give a bid on a 2000sqft basement with one walk-out door. The plans are not finalized so I am doing my "guestimate" at 25x80 for the walls. I figured 8" walls 8' tall with a 18"widex8" deep footer. Foundation drain and smooth finished concrete floor. No interior concrete walls but will have several internal footers for added strength for the floor. I am in NW OK and we have LOTS of red clay soil that expands and contracts and lots of rain in the spring and stoms in the summer months along with 110* days so expansion and contraction are being taken into consideration with the walls being concrete instead of block.

I usually sub this out but I can't get ahold of my concrete guy, so I bid it doing it myself with my own guys. I would use wood forms for everything and rent the A & C-clamps and rent the equipment to dig. I came up with $11.50 a square foot for this using 80 hours of labor(myself at $40/hr and 2 laborors at $10/each at my cost) and $70/yard for the mud. Is this anywhere in the ballpark to some of you guys? Total would be $23,000 for the job, anywhere near you guys, too low, too high? The guy wanting this is not looking to start for a couple of months but is giving me a shot at the foundation and he is having a manufactured home put on the foundation. I have never done just the basement and he wants an "estimate" this week, you guys know how that goes. I am trying to put as little time into this as possible since I am pretty sure that I am going to be on the high side but I think my work is better than most guys around here. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

Default Re: Concrete stem wall and floor price?

Hi Wes,
    I have done a lot of foundations for modular homes in NW Washington and several basements also. I use 1 and 1/8 Cd plywood forms, snap ties and shoes with vertical wailers every 6 to 8 ft. The cheapest I have been able accomplish a basement was about 4 years ago, unfinished basement for 30$ a foot. That was with me buying all the materials and concrete under 60$ per yard. That included the insulated slab floor and on exterior walls, some bearing walls but did not include excavation or backfill. Labor was 25$ perhour and there were three involved for most of it.
    Sounds like you are way low unless you are not providing materials. The cost of the concrete at 70$ per yard is over $5000 alone and then of course there is sand fill under the slab, lots of rebar, time and material to coat the exterior with asphalt etc.
    Something is missing here.
    good luck

Thanks Randolph, I had the concrete at $6300 give or take and including the materials except for the snap-ties and renting the A & C brackets, clamps or whatever everyone else is calling them. Those I didn't include. Sand is really cheap here, in fact free for me, I know the owner of the pit. I know it sounds low but I know that it is going to be somewhat in the ballpark for our area. Thanks for your info, I am going to go back and make sure I didn't miss something.

Wes-

I can't comment on the dollars, but the labor hours sound very light. It appears that you're saying that you and two laborers are going to dig, form and pour footings, form and pour walls, and stone, prep and pour the floor in a week (40 hours for you, 80 for the laborers). This is WAY low- especially if you guys don't do this type of work every day. I'm also thinking that $10/hour "laborers" don't exactly set the world on fire with their speed and skill.

If I was figuring the labor, I'd go with:

Excavate basement and prep subgrade- 2 days
    Form, prep, inspect, pour and strip footings- 2 days
    Form, rebar, inspect, pour and strip walls- 5 days
    Break snap ties, patch holes, damp-proof- 1 day
    Stone slab, install wire, prep for inspection- 1 day
    Pour and finish slab- 1 day

That's 12 days, or 36 man-days ( not including and time for backfill (which I'm assuming you're doing if you're excavating). That's only 250% of your estimate.

Bob

Thanks Bob, you must have been thinking about the long weekend ahead of you, I planned on 80 hrs for each or 240 man hours. :)

You are right though, it is a little light on time. I don't do flatwork and had planned on having the placing of the floor sub'ed out. I will do all the prep work though. As for the $10.00 labor, I can only get college kids since the other carpenters in town work for themselves or are drunk more often then sobber. Help is very hard to come by here. I only need part time guys right now anyway so the college guys work out pretty well. Just hired a guy that will be with me for a year at least and is a true "green horn", know nothing but willing to learn and doesn't mind working weekends. Had him on a roof last week tearing off and hauling shingles, he did alright and never complained so we will see how it goes.

I will talk to the guy this week, he may not want all four walls concrete and if the site slope works then I don't have to have 8' concrete walls all the way around, maybe just one side and about 1/4 of the sides then it can drop down to a lower height.

Thanks for the input Bob, I really appreciate it.

Wes
    If I subbed this out to a concrete sub here in NW CT it would be about $20,000 give or take, figuring about 100 yds. Note that is with 10 walls and 22x10" footings which is standard practice here. 8" thick basement walls could be a bit flimsey. The concrete guys with packaged forms and about a 3-4 man crew will take 1 to 1 1/2 days for footing and about 2-3 days to form the walls, 1/2 day to pour and 1/2 to strip. Then another day for slab pour. Are you sure you want to do this yourself?