Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Black and blue fingernail

I hit my finger with a hammer today, right now the finger nail is black and throbbing. Short of using red hot needles or 1/16" drill bits does anyone have a better remedy?
    Thanks

Default Re: Black and blue fingernail

Been there. Done that. Ain't no fun! Knock on wood, I haven't done it in quite a while. But when I have, I sterilize the needle but don't heat it. I just drill through the fingernail by twisting it back and forth between my thumb and index finger. But to help take the soreness out, soak your finger in turpentine. I don't know how or why it works, but it does. Also works for bruises and minor scrapes. And no, it dosen't burn at all. I keep a can in my truck all the time (just in case, you know).

I use a dremel and a tiny burr. The relief is instant.

I don't understand why anyone would want to put a hot poker in their finger nail or drill a hole through it. Anytime I get one of those things I just leave it alone, it is sore for a few days and disapears from the fingernail after about 6 months, no big deal.

I used a 1/16" drill bit, spun it between my fingers, it worked well, thanks for the input Chad and Iwoodnot. I'm going to get some turpentine. Thanks again
    Robert

OK now, don't laugh at this one... when I was 16 I hit my finger, and tried the 1/16 bit. Let's just say you shouldn't do it with a drill, 'cause when the bit catches............

Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh at that one! :-)

I always ice mine immediately and then alternate hot and cold for 20 minutes. It seems to stop the big painfull swelling and then I don't need to relieve the pressure.

Kirk

I once had a job building concrete retaining walls.

On picking up one of the larger parts from the stack, it rolled in and smooshed my finger. The nail went instantly black and I did a perfect rendition of the 'silent scream'.

One of the other guys asked what the hell I was doing......till the 3rd said "I know what he did", whilst I wriggled in agony.

They both said to put a hole in it. I couldnt, said I would puke if I tried. Went to a pharmacy where I knew the owner. Asked for some heavy duty meds and showed him the digit. He winced and gave me the beefiest stuff he could without doctor approval.
    After scarfing a ton of the the things, the drugs didnt even take the edge off.

Finally I got a pin red hot and did the deed. No pain, and the relief was in incredible. From now on, a hole goes in pronto.

If you can hold it till the end of the day and make a run to the Dr's office, sometimes they have these cool little pen/torch things that burn a hole in your nail, neat and painless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I hit my finger with a hammer today, right now the finger nail is black and throbbing. Short of using red hot needles or 1/16" drill bits does anyone have a better remedy?
    Thanks
    I feel your pain man, i`m just finishing loosing my thumb nailan and what happens i hit it again......lmao this time no black and blue just pain, i never drill no holes in my finger nails just sucked it up an moved on......theres hundreds of guys out there with a black nail all i can say is it happens to the best of us

I read somewhere that if you pinch the fingernail and hold it for several minutes tight, right after you smash it, The blood won't get right under the nail, but coagulate in the tissue, saving the nail. I've tried it and I think it worked, but there's no way to know if it actually would have done it except that the initial pain was the same--excruciating.
    The next time someone whacks a digit, could they try it and let me know if worked? Maybe the next time I crush two fingers I'll do it on just one.
    --Fred

Fred,
    I going out to the garage now to smash one of my fingers, I'll try your pinch the fingernail trick and let you know how it works out.
    Mike

Down south we soak our nails (the metal ones) overnight in a bucket of water. It drowns them and that don't move as much the next day. They're a whole lot easier to drive that way.
    Ya'll must be hammerin' like lightning, never striking twice in the same place.

Derrell,
    This reminds me of the time when I was first starting out, I had bought a 32 oz. vaughn framer. I turned my thumb into hamberger on a stick. I replaced it with a lighter hammer and better technique. My boss was fond of the old saying " all I want to see is "***holes and elbows". He would also bragg about how every nail should go in with one blow--how he got his fingers out of the way I don't know. Anyway, he saw me using my lighter hammer and I ended up selling the 32 ozer for 10 bucks to him. The next day he shows up from another work site with hamberger on a stick for an index finger under a wad of duct tape.
    Now I use a titanium stilletto--14 oz.

Derrell, you using live nails or something? Mine are already dead so they don't move. No drowning necessary. lol