Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Drilling a hole in a Steel I Beam

I started a commercial job last week ( complete gut and remodel) The customer wants the Water Main line (3/4")
    run "high and tight to the ceiling" I have a good straight run untill i reach the Main support beam 16" thick 24' long.
    would there be a problem drilling a 1" hole in this beam?

Thanks

Erich

Default Re: Drilling a hole in a Steel I Beam

If you are talking about a 16 inch LVL or something like that, you'd probably not have a problem if you stayed close to the middle (from top to bottom). If it is way bigger than it needs to be, you might be OK if it were on the edge. A 16 inch beam spanning 24 ft is going to be way bigger near the ends than it needs to be, so if you aren't in the middle third, chances are that you won't cause any problems. Your probably should get an engineer to check it to make sure, or do the Calcs yourself if the inspector doesn't need a letter.

Glenn

If this is an LVL, read the manufacturer's directions regardarding hole placement.

If this is sawn lumber, read the code book on drilling and notching.

I dont have an answer for you, just want to point out "Steel I Beam" in the topic. Definately not LVL.

I'd drill it in a heartbeat and I wouldn't ask any engineers. Round holes in steel beams have very little effect on integrity.

The location of where i want to drill the whole is located at the end of the beam and dead center. there is a support column directly under where i want to drill.

Thanks for all the replies fellas

Erich

I'd have to agree with chad...a 1" hole in the web area of a 16" steel I beam isn't going to affect the integrity at all, even if it is over the post. I used to work in the sign industry for my ex father in law doing the big auto dealership electronic message signs and the engineers let us torch cut much bigger holes than that in I beams and pipes to run wiring harnesses through...I don't have any specifics now, but my experience tells me that the beam would never even know the hole was there....James

OK, I see that we are talking about a steel beam. And, the hole to be drilled is directly over the end support. In that case, the only thing that would be of any concern is whether or not there would be a problem with buckling or crushing from the load above if it is simply supported (and not a space frame).

That said, it would nearly be impossible to dimish the strenght enough to be a problem in that location.

If you, on the other hand, mean the end of the clear span and not the end of the beam, then you'll have to determine whether or not you will have a problem with shear. I doubt it. The controlling factor on a beam this long is going to probably be bending stress or deflection, so it will be overdesigned for shear in most cases and the reduction will be insignificant.

glenn

I drilled, well the steel guys did, but we drilled holes through out a W8x28 to put 2x in there for hangers. Shouldnt have any problem...