Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

metal lath for cultured stone veneer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal lath for cultured stone veneer

Putting up a cultered stone venner (LS stone) over 1/2" CDX exterior wall. I have 2 layers of #30 felt, and I am ready to nail up the metal lath for the scratch coat.
    What is the suggested nailing for metal lath ?
    Do the pieces of lath have to overlap, or just but up?

Thanks,

Nick

Re: metal lath for cultured stone veneer

Nick, I won't swear to this, but I think the lath for Cultured Stone goes up the same as for stucco. Which means vertical laps are a stud bay, horizontal laps are 2" with the upper sheets BEHIND the lower sheets, horizontal laps are wire tied in the center of each stud bay, and the nails at the studs are 6" OC.

Comment

Thanks charles,

BTW, roofing nails to install lath ?

Thanks,
      Nick

Comment

Nick:
        If assuming the same rules for exterior 3 coat stucco…
        With 15/32” CDX, wouldn’t hurt to find the frame also. If the substrate was ¾” T&G, make sure it is sound and tight, especially if you did a tear out on the previous finish. Place enough fasteners to keep the metal from moving away from the building. Our guys used to lap ½” to 1” at edges (long) and 1” to 2” at ends (Francis Ching says less than this is ok). We have ripped out 50 year old stucco (still sound) on T&G that had the lath nailed 8-10” OC at the studs and field with 3D shingle nails.

Code for diamond, expanded and flat rib with 3 coat is probably something like 1 ½” 14 guage with 7/16 heads or 1” No. 11 guage (barbed) with 7/16 heads or No. 16 guage 7/8” by ¾ crown staples or equivalent at 6” horizontal and 6” vertical. Because advice is cheap, as with any 1st time project, check with the stone veneer manufacturer for their specs on spacing and type of fasteners, overlap and type of lath, control / expansion joints on larger walls, etc.

Install sheets horizontally. One guy positions lath and tacks with a staple hammer, another follows with a pneumatic. If you are not hand nailing, put a lot of nails or pneumatic staples. If you are hand nailing, charge more or find some job extras so you can buy some guns for the next job.

A couple of things come to mind assuming you are using (expanded) diamond shape metal lath:
        Wear gloves.
        On some lath, the diamond mesh pattern forms an angle between the front and back of a sheet…the dividing wire that is horizontal forms a cup to catch the parge. It will go faster (but will work both ways) if these cups are facing up.

I think over sheathing, tie wires on the lath would be a bit overkill.

Oh yea, glad to hear you used 30# felt instead of Tyvek so you can let us know that the papering was the toughest part of the whole job.

Comment

Nick, Henry sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Comment

This is a little off subject, but does go to the necessity of properly attaching expanded metal lath: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AG5589SFD1.DTL
            "The only communists left in the world are in American Universities."

--Mikhail Gorbachev

Comment

I have always stapled my lath up with 1" crown staples.You can rent one most places. I tack up the lath and then work one direction being carfull not to get any buckles. Staple your stud lines and then every 6" in a dimond patern . I also prefer to use galvinized lath under stone. It seemes to hold up better as it is more prone to water leakage than stucco. I too prefer felt over house wrap to place under stucco .

Comment

This is on a covered porch (6' deep) and will probobly never see any water against it, do I need 2 layers of felt ?

Thanks,
                Nick

Comment

uno es suficiente.

In fact, if it will never get rain...could even use Tyvek!

Comment

Working...
                  X