Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

grace ice & water shield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grace ice & water shield

Hey folks...anyone have good/bad luck using Grace's Ice and Water Shield in temperatures around 10 degrees Farenhiet? The literature states that it should be installed at 40 degrees or higher. I'm wondering if that is just to cover the liability butt. We HAVE to get a roof put down right now and was curious about people's experience with ice & water shields applications in winter. I'm figuring worst case, as with the fiberglass shingles, the best seal will be delayed untill warm weather arrives this spring/summer.

Thanks for your input.

-John

Re: grace ice & water shield

the only thing we have found with it is it doesnt want to stick too good when its cold.sure that when everything warms up it will be like glue at least i hope lol

Comment

You could try warming the membrane and the surface you are applying it to with a tiger torch. Just be careful not to overheat things.

Comment

Re: grace ice & water shield *NM*

Comment

We actually prefer to install it in cold temperatures. With it being cold, you don't have to worry as much about the membrane contacting itself and sticking and you get more leeway in positioning it before adhesion. If it is cold enough to keep the membrane from adhering, we use a small pneumatic "upholstery" stapler to hold the material in position and then we roof or finish right over it.

Comment

yeah we nail along the top also only thing im afraid of is a big wind blowing it up off the drip edge

Comment

Grace is absolutely the worst ice & water shield material, I've ever worked with.

Comment

Rowdy,
                Why and what do you consider the best?

I picked up the stone you threw and asked you to build something with it.

Got any thing positive to bring in?

Comment

The material is too light and flimsy when you are working with it. A light breeze when you are installing it and it flops against itself. Trying to get it apart is impossible. Certainteed makes a good product or any of the others that have a mineral surface, I prefer.

Comment

Working...
                  X