Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Stick-on muntin bars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick-on muntin bars

Anybody know of a source for muntin bars that can be custom-cut and adhered on the exterior and/or interior surface of window and door glass?
    A couple of years ago I saw a product like this advertised and never thought much about it, but now I have a project underway where I'm building a new garage/office next to an existing older house. The house has a fairly unique muntin bar pattern that I can't match without using custom-built windows, which are not in the budget.
    Anyone know of a source for this type of thing?

Re: Stick-on muntin bars

Roger,

Simulated divided light windows, what you describe, are not really that expensive when compared to true-divided, custom light patterns. Most window manufactures will do custom SDL(simulated divided lights) patterns without a hassle, but you'll probably have a longer lead time. I would inquire at a good window supplier and see what it will cost. You have several options: 1) SDL on one side of the glass; This looks really cheesy because the tape used to adhere the bars to the glass is visible from the inside. 2)SDL with a removable interior grill; This looks correct at a reasonable cost. 3) SDL applied to both sides of the window; This looks the best, but makes cleaning a real drag. 4)SDL applied to one or both sides of the window with a mill finish aluminum spacer bar between the glass. This makes the window look more like a true divided light window, but adds to the cost. This option (#4)is frequently speced on patio or entry doors, because the wider (typically around 3/4 or 7/8") air space on doors makes the void between grills more obvious. There are companies that will provide grills you can stick on yourself, but it's really a tedious process and one I would never volunteer my services for. My guess is you can expect to pay from $100-$150 additional per window on an average sized window, for an exterior SDL with a removable interior grill. Not bad in my opinion, but if you still want to stick it to them yourself, I'll find a supplier for you.

Patrick

Comment

Patrick,
      We're using vinyl windows and fiberglass doors on this project, and unfortunately, the door and window grid patterns and options are totally different. I opened my big mouth and told the Owner "No problem, we can order the windows and doors as single light and apply our own grids to the inside and/or outside." Problem is, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for - that is, extruded vinyl (or?) sticking with pressure-sensitive backing that can be cut to fit and permanently adhered to the glass surface. I'm almost positive that I have seem this product advertised, but can't seem to locate it.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks!
      Roger

Comment

Roger,

Good Morning,

This company specializes in window grills of all types, both interior and exterior.

Patrick

creative millwork

Comment

Patrick,
          Thanks for your help!
          Roger

Comment

Congratulations! You revived an eight year old thread to provide us with an ad, and to think you didn't even have to pay for it!

Know what this approach will get you?....Nothing!

Legitimate professional companies having products should take out an ad to help pay for this site! Then we get interested......except for Point 6!
            Take Care

Jim

Comment

Jim - Just want you to know that I personally appreciated the lead to this company. I am redoing 25 windows on a remodel and am using them for SDL on all of them. I'm GLAD he posted the link.

Comment

When a JLC forum member posts a link it typically is something they want to recommend as a product we may want to use.

When a company or it's salespeople place their first post onto a thread that is 8,9 10 years past, that's trolling and spam placement!
                Take Care

Jim

Comment

Jim
                  I think gus is a spammer as well. Have you noticed all of the new members lately that don't seem to be able to fill out their profiles; they seem to hop in with a lot of one line or shallow responses.
                  Mark Parlee
                  BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                  EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                  EDI Seminar Instructor
                  Level one thermographer (Snell)
                  www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                  You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

I think you're on to something Mark!

There still is a lot of single line bs posts from new/uknowns who somehow navigate the simplistic sign-up regimen and then post inane cra.

As the mods remove the stuff, most do not return. Unseen in the tools forum is a series of 10, that's TEN, posts all in a row in a 15 minute period all for BS products by the same person! Those type of forum postings are as bad a email SPAM!
                    Take Care

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by James Eggert View Post
                      I think you're on to something Mark!

There still is a lot of single line bs posts from new/uknowns who somehow navigate the simplistic sign-up regimen and then post inane cra.

As the mods remove the stuff, most do not return. Unseen in the tools forum is a series of 10, that's TEN, led posts all in a row in a 15 minute period all for BS products by the same person! Those type of forum postings are as bad a email SPAM!
                      SPAM is huge problem for these forums and this forum is suffering a lot
                      Last edited by Waynemitchell; 02-14-2013, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen, I know Pat McCombe. Pat McCombe is a friend of mine. And he is not a spammer. He's a former JLC editor, now working at another publication, who dropped in to be friendly. Just so you know.

Sorry about the spam ... we're trying to stay on top of it. Please do flag any posts you feel are problematic in any way.

Ted

Comment

thanks for the explanation Ted.
                          Mark Parlee
                          BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
                          EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                          EDI Seminar Instructor
                          Level one thermographer (Snell)
                          www.thebuildingconsultant.com
                          You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Working...
                          X