Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Vanessa Guest

Default Sewage Ejector Pump

Hey! I was looking to buy a house that happens to have a sewage ejector on it (the house is lower than the street, I guess that is the reason for it) The home is a forecloser and no one can give me any info about it and there wasn't any instruction/care manuals left behind. I was hoping someone could give me some info or tips as to what to do with the thing and how do take care of it.

Thanks a Bunch,
    Vanessa

Art B Guest

Default Re: Sewage Ejector Pump

Flush no disposable diapers, don't flush kitty litter, etc. Shouldn't need to do anything else. Good idea to have it on its' own circuit.

Denny Guest

You should also avoid flushing things like dental floss and feminine hygene products. They can wrap around the impeller and mess up the pump. You just have to be careful what you flush.

Inspector Jim Guest

Vanessa,

A couple of things you can check:
    * The lid should be tightly sealed and bolted.
    * The electrical connection should be grommetted.
    * It should have a vent, like any other plumbing fixture, that terminates above the roof.
    * It should have a backwater valve.
    * The outlet should rise above and take a 135 degree turn into the gravity drain (Not join it from below or directly from the side.)
    * It should have a shut-off Valve.

Like everyone else said, don't flush things like paper towels, sanitary napkins, etc. They *will* clog the pump. (Actually, there are pumps available that can handle these things, for about $2000.)

If there is a power failure, do not run any of the fixtures that drain into it. This can make a real mess. If power failures are common and most of the house relies on this thing, you might want to install a backup generator

In my experience, the pumps need to be replaced every 8-10 years or so. If yours is about this age and has never been replaced, consider replacing it proactively to avoid hassles.

Have it cleaned about once every couple of years and, if it doesn't have one already, install an alarm to let you know if it has failed.

Good luck,

-Inspector Jim

Peter CGR Guest

You cannot use powdered laundry detergent if the washing machine uses the pump. I believe that all manufactureres recommend a liquid laundry detergent. I learned this one the hard way.

John D Guest

With a sewerage ejector pump an alarm for high water can save the cost of a smelly clean up. A small magnetic float connected to a doorbell is all that is required. The sensor can be tapped into the cover of the tank.

marjorie Guest

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if I need an ejector pump? I have had three sewer backups into my finished basement. Paper gets caught in the valve. Some plumbers have told us that we currently do not have a backflow valve while the original plumber for our building claims that we do have a backflow valve. Almost all are recommending an ejector pump. Can anyone help me with this? I am looking at about 7-8 thousand dollars.

Larry Michalowski Guest

We just purchased a house with an ejector pump for the basement bath. Of course, within a month the pump switch is beginning to stick. The pump does not cycle until water appears over the top of the sump pit cover and is backing up through the basement shower drain. I'm trying to determine the manufacturere of the pump and our options to correct the situation.
    The pump cord tag is marked:10', D/S, 3034, SP40A1, Weitzel L"
    The plug tag is marked:12752-008-5, DPS8-1-10,, 1-95, SPMA Certified"
    Any information and suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks all.

Vic Guest

This was an emailed reply to Larry Michalowski 9/7/01 posting
    Hi,
    Saw your posting last September on the Sewage ejector pump. I hope the problem is solved by now. In case it isn't, the pump you probably have is a Hydromatic pump model SP40. I have the same pump and it didn't shut off for a couple of minutes after the sump was empty. There is a vent on top of the piggy back plug. Make sure it is clean and not covered. Also, make sure the wire is not crimped. If this vent is not working properly, the switch will not work properly.

You can get a manual for the pump by going into google.com and searching 12752-008-5

good luck

Vic