Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Corian Sink Replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corian Sink Replacement

Does anyone know if a Corian sink integrated in a kitchen counter can be replaced? What happens if the bowl cracks down around the drain? Can just the sink be replaced, or does it impact the whole counter? If it can be field replaced, are the results good quality?

Re: Corian Sink Replacement

the sink can be replaced. but, i would look into warranty on original sink.
    what caused failure?

Comment

The problem has not occurred. We are looking at a kitchen remodel and considering Corian (or other solid surface material). I'm just trying to determine how ugly life becomes if the sink becomes really stained or cracked and needs to be replaced. I assume even if the sink can be replaced, it's going to cost a small fortune.

Comment

the way corian is assembled with adhesives, the sink can be cut out by a competent fabricator and replaced . the sinks themselves are fairly costly, plus the labor involved.
        however, i have worked with the product for a long time, and have seen no failures if instructions are followed on setting of hot pots, and care and cleaning.

Comment

I am a Master Plumber. I see these sinks more and more. Also get on a lot of service calls where I see them.

Your concerns while valid are unsupported by the facts as far as I can tell.

I make it my business to know my stuff so can properly advise my clients. When they buy a Corian type sink it eats into my material sales but that is OK if it is in their best interests. One drawback...redecorating is harder.

My favorite part...when I need a new hole for ad on stuff I just drill it and it is soooo easy!!

Comment

to clarify...I have not had any service calls on the sinks. I just se them when there for something else...like replacing the cheapo faucet from the ugly orange box...I will never understand why someone would pay the big bucks for a Corian countertop and sink then install crappy faucets, disposers, etc.

I guess that is why I see my job as a buying assistant and educator who then can also install and maintain the equipment.

I have seen problems with the solis surface type stand alone sinks. The cheapos again. Not the good ones or the built in ones.

Comment

Working...
            X