Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Contact Cement

Brian Champer Guest

Default Contact Cement

Can someone tell me the best type roller to use to apply contact cement on formica? I'm going to be doing a lot of it. Or is there a better way to apply it that I'm missing?
    Also if anyone has experience spraying cement can you give me some input, pros (if any) and cons.
    Thanks.

mike Guest

Default Re: Contact Cement

Brian, spraying is absolutly the best method if you can justify the cost of the equipment, which is basicly a pot type sprayer with a tip made for contact glue. You will get the most even coverage and use less glue than rolling or brushing.Haveing said that,when I went on my own I brushed the counter edges and rolled the top surface.Someone will probably disagree but I don't like using the special rollers made for contact glue.It goes on to heavy and is hard to smooth out. I use the cheepest roller cover for oil based paints. 2 thin coats on each surface will give the best results and avoid air bubbles. I use the tried and true solvent based adhesives. There are some self contained spay systems avail. but even my Wilsonart rep does not recomend it. hope this helps,mike

Guy Guest

I use to work in a cabinet/counter top shop years ago. We use to spray the adhesive on. I agree that spraying is the best method. I no longer work in a shop but still do a few small jobs here and there. I have been rolling the contact cement on which is a little easer with limited space.

My question to you all: What is the best roller to use when applying contact cement? I have been using a cheap foam style that works well for the first 2 min. then the cover seperates from the roller drum. Can anyone give me a manufacture name for roller covers that work well. Special rollers for contact cement and any other.

Thank you all for your time and assistance!

Guy

mike Guest

Guy, I'm in the same situation as you. I still do a few on the side. I just use the cheapest roller cover made for oil based paints and have not had the problem that you described. I currently pay about $1.50 per pair at a local hardware store and then just throw it away. Sounds like your covers are only for latex paints. Also, mine are a regular 3/8" knapp and not foam. Hope this helps. Mike

Guy Guest

Mike,

Thank you for the advice. I thought about using the type of roller cover that you described, but was concerned about it because I thought it would leave behind fibers, etc.

Thank you,I give it a try!
    Guy