Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    arnie Guest

Default Problem with Waterproofing on HardiBacker

I'm currently installing a new bathroom with tiled shower walls. I chose HardiBacker CBU for my walls. I wanted to waterproof the HardiBacker prior to tile, and wanted to use Laticrete 9235, but could not find it in my area, so I used a waterproofing product called 'RedGard' from Custom Building Products sold at the big box. It went on alright, and seems to form a nice rubber membrane, but it did not seem to bond well to the Hardibacker. I can roll it off in big pieces. The RedGard was supposed to be compatible with cement board, but the manufacturers instructions did not specifically mention HardiBacker, so I called both Custom Building Products and Hardie, and they both said 'should be OK' without too much confidence. The good news is I've discovered the problem before placing tile. So, does anyone know what went wrong here? I did clean the surface with a damp sponge first. I'm going to rip off the CBU's and start over, and I guess I'll try the 9235 this time. Can anyone tell me of good experiences using 9235 over Hardibacker? Will the 9235 form a chemical bond with the hardibacker, or will it sit on the surface like a sheet, like the Redgard seems to. Does anyone know where to get Laticrete 9235 in Northern New Jersey?

Gary R Guest

Default Re: Problem with Waterproofing on HardiBacker

Arnie,

Are you planning to apply the laticete 9235 water proofing membrane liquid to the tile side of the CBU? And is this what you attempted to do with the RedGard?

arnie Guest

Gary, yes it was to the tile side of the CBU. As I was cleaning up some of the dimples around the screw heads, I could pull up the RedGard around the screw, which is understandable, but in some areas the stuff just kept on coming off. I just didn't have confidence putting tile on top of it, when there seemed to be such a poor bond between the Hardibacker and the RedGard.

Steve Price Guest

arnie

Try emailing bob kovaks over on the estimating forum regarding where to find the laticrete. He lives and works there

Steve

Dave Gobis Guest

That problem is usually typical of rapid water loss by the liquid waterproofing. Make sure the board is damp before you apply. Laticrete.com will be glad to tell you where to purchase product.

The Ceramic Tile Education Foundation

Finnegan Guest

I am looking forward to using GP Dens Shield on my next tile job. It is a little expensive at around $30 a 4x8, but it is supposed to be waterproof and cut like drywall.

e3 Guest

it is dry wall with a water barrier on one side.