Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

set ceramic tile over vinyl title adhesive residue on basement concrete floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• set ceramic tile over vinyl title adhesive residue on basement concrete floor

I am in the middle of a basement refinishing job. The homeowner is considering putting down ceramic tile. We are in the process of removing the asbestos vinyl tile, leaving only the adhesive. What surface prep should be done? What adhesive is best to use to install ceramic tile? The thinset products I am familiar with caution that the product can not be used over vinyl tile or any residue. Thanks FP

Re: set ceramic tile over vinyl title adhesive residue on basement concrete floor

frank

the two products i use that are rated for use over vinyl adhesive are laticrete 317 thinset with 333 additive and summitville 777 thinset with 810 additive. i've use these for severals years over old vinyl and carpet glue residue with no problems.

email me if you want the numbers for summitville's and laticrete's labs. you can call them to see if they will way the same thing about setting tile over old asbestos tile setting material.

around here in va, everyone is nervous about doing anything assoc with asbestos removal. the certified asbestos removal contractors have made a fortune.

Comment

Re: set ceramic tile over vinyl title adhesive residue on basement concrete floor

every installer--DIY or professional--must be aware of the potential hazards connected with the removal or the encapsulation of asbestos tiles.

in my opinion, as long as the subfloor, underlayment, and joists meet tile standards, the best approach is to cover the asbestos tiles--completely uncleaned and covered with paint, varnish, whatever--with a layer of thinset mortar and a layer of 1/4-inch cement backerboards.

with this method, you have minimum contact with the board. as well, dust release during fastener penetration is itself encapsulated beneath the board. should tiles need to be removed or replaced, work can be done without disturbing the asbestos layer.

if a membrane is required, opt for a system that requires the membrane to be wet-applied with thinset or an organic adhesive.

Comment

Working...
      X