Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Recommended Reading - a poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Reading - a poll

From reading through previous posts, I have noticed numerous books and authors being mentioned. Does anyone care to share which 3-4 books that have had the most impact on you and your business?

The first book I read regarding this industry was by David Gerstel "the builders guide to running a successful construction company", which was great book for fundamental organization and temperment.

Jef

Re: Recommended Reading - a poll

Jef,

I would say that "The Seven Habits of Highly Succesful People" and "First Things First" both by Stephen R. Covey, while not industry specific, provide the reader/student with the personal management skills necessary to be a successful business person. As far as texts that are industry specific I thought that the series written by Linda W. Case and Victoria Downing and published by Remodeling Consulting Services were real eye openers, make that eye poppers. If everyone in the construction industry applied the knowledge found in these texts alone we would, I believe, be equal to doctors and dentists in status and income.

These books may already be a part of your library and if they are I would be interested in your comments.

Thomas

Comment

Thomas,

Is there a specific title for the series written by Linda Case and Victoria Downing?

I have listened to the the seven habits,(about 3 years ago) I found it very useful, but in the end, wish I had purchased the book instead. Thank you for the reminder.

Jef

Comment

Jef,

The titles I have are, "Mastering the Art of Remodeling" and "The Remodeler's Guide to Making and Managing Money".

I think that the authors are giving us the tools to be able to go from "I feel/think that I'm doing alright" to "I'm doing great (paying myself a real salary, health insurance, real vacations, socking away money for the next truck, etc.) and I can prove it". I'll trade the additional paperwork for the nagging doubt anytime.

Thomas

Comment

I loved Rich Dad, Poor Dad (Four Quadrants). It helped me shift my perspective from owning a job to owning a buisness. Very enlightening. And for those with a spiritual edge: The Trick to Money is Having Some by Stuart Wilde.

Comment

Jef,
            This one is not in the self/business improvement category, but it is a great read. The book is called "House", by Tracy Kidder, published by Houghton Mifflin Co in Boston, 1985. It might not be in print anymore, but worth the effort to find it. It is a true story about a small building company in Amherst, Mass. The author has an incredible knack of putting you right there on the jobsite. Enjoy!
            Charlie Mackall

Comment

This won't offer any titles, but does concern this topic. I have seen Jef's copy of Mr. Gerstel's book and it is tagged, flagged, dog-eared and I assume highlighted as heavy as my own copy. Just last week, I asked Jef his own question here, so keep those responses coming.

-Matt

Comment

Working...
              X