Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Sue Guest

Default Home Remodeling statistics

Bob-
    Does JLC or do you know of another source that has real statistics on home remodeling? I'm working on a business plan and want to evaluate and include info on home remodeling trends and dollars spent over the last decade or so. I'm having trouble finding it. Any help would be aprreciated. Thanks.
    Sue

Bob Kovacs Guest

Default Re: Home Remodeling statistics

Sue-

Have you looked at the Cost vs. Value report in Remodeling magazine? If you aren't familiar with it, it's published yearly, and gives average costs for about 20 different types of projects, and the resale value of the work. It also usually goes over some trends in the industry. Search Remodeling's website for industry statistics as well- you may find some info there.

There's another source that publishes data on remodeling as well, but darned if I can remember who it is. I'll keep thinking.

What in particular are you looking to find out?

Bob

Sue Guest

I'll check that out. I'm hoping to find stats like Average dollars spent on remodeling per household, numbers on how many homeowners remodeled or even some state or regional information. Just some information that I can gauge the market with.

Sue

Bob Kovacs Guest

I used to have that info- I'll try and dig up the source- I'm sure it would just be a matter of then hitting the website for an updated version.

Where are you located, Sue?

Bob

James Eggert Guest

Try also www.nahb.org

They track all sorts of construction issues.

Jim

Jerrald Hayes Guest

Sue I think the Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard University is one of the most robust and rich sources for business planning market data and I think its all free or at least a lot of it is.

W01-5:Survivorship and Growth in the Residential Remodeling Industry: Evidence from the Census of Construction is particulary insightful. Somewhere I even have some of the older studies that are no longer published for download on the site

Also for a few bucks you can get The Remodelers Cost of Doing Business Study and The Remodelers Compensation Study from the NAHB

I also have a lot of other obscure all-over-the-map type research collected so feel free to e-mail me if your looking for something specific. There's always a chance I might have already researched and collected it.

Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard Univer

Bob Kovacs Guest

That's the site I was looking for!!! Leave it to my MIA pal Jerry to pull one out for the team...

Bob

Bob Kovacs Guest

Sue-

At the JCHS site, there's a publication from Sept 2001 called "Remodeling Spending in Major Metropolitian Areas". It looks like exactly what you need.

Bob

Sue Guest

Thanks Bob.
    I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

Sue

Lance Sniatkowski Guest

Here is the exact link.http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/media/rai/rai_02_3.htm

Lance Sniatkowski Guest

better yet let me put a s[ace there. http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/media/rai/rai_02_3.htm

Lance Sniatkowski Guest

Here is another interesting article that may shed some light to the business paln.

http://www.housingzone.com/news.asp?layout=story&gid=310000431&cid=110005011& did=47KX-VS00-0093-V3X4-00000-00

Good luck with the plan!