Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Ian Beattie Guest

Default Sill Plate Sealing

Hope I am in the right forum. We count this as the framer's responsibility.
    What is the best way to seal the sill plate to the concrete foundation? We are using foam sill sealer between the treated wood and the concrete, but still air, and sometimes water, leaks in to the crawlspace. The water we can blame on the siding guy not keeping the first course down far enough to provide a good drip edge. Still the air problem though. We use Tyvek over the 1/2" OSB sheathing, and run a length of red tape along the bottom.
    What do other people do to prevent this problem?
    Thanks in advance.

John Giuliani Guest

Default Re: Sill Plate Sealing

Ian,

As a distributor and assembler of a pre-fabricated wall panel, I use a product called Vulkem. I learned about Vulken from a builder in Minneapolis that had purchased my panels and was installing them for his client, an architect. It was used between the bottom plate of the wall panel and the plywood deck. It was also used where 2 panels came together (wood to wood). It hardens, but stays flexible even in cold weather. Check out the following link:

http://www.tremcosealants.com/fileshare/pds/VULKEM11.PDF

John Giuliani
    Nascor Building Systems of Pa.

Mike Sloggatt Guest

Ian -
    I use Sill sealer- a roll of 8" widex 50' Long Foam that we set first on the sill,- It compresses & makes the seal. It's pretty universal here on Long Island

Mike S

George Roberts Guest

I use sill sealer on slabs.

I use nothing on crawl spaces. I simply call the air leaks additional ventilation.

Dave English Guest

We use the foam sill sealer too. It sounds like the gap between the sill plate and the top of the foundation is to large for the sill sealer to be compressed in. One solution is to double up the foam sill sealer.

Steve Kochenburg Guest

Hi ya all this is Steve from Ottawa GREAT STUFF seals any crack or seams also flexable and good for stopping air infliltration also keeps out those little creepy crawlers.

See ya

Kelly Guest

I stopped using anything under sill plates during framing some years ago on SOG foundations which are about all I do. I use treated plates (KDAT) and seal the gaps with expanding foam at insulation time. I found that putting anything under the plates initially still left gaps that had to be filled anyway, so why bother. And the KDAT doesn't have the shrinkage problems of regular treated wood, so once filled the gaps remain closed. To prevent water from the outside I use mechanical means, usually a dropped masonry lug with felt flashing, sometimes felt flashing and siding overlap.

CX