Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Connecting wood to metal I beam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting wood to metal I beam

What is the best way to connect 2x10 floor joists to an 8" steel I beam? It will be a flush (blind) beam. I've done many that the joists sit on top of the beam, but haven't run into this before. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Connecting wood to metal I beam

John,

Look in your Simpson Strong-Tie Catalog.
    They have joist hangers with an added flange that bends over the top of the beam. That is how we did it on a job 2 years ago. It keeps the top of the joist flush with the top of the plate on top of the beam.

Vince.

Comment

John,

Has the man who engineered the steel made any suggestions?

Ed. Williams

Comment

Typically, we bolt a double 2x to the inside of the steel beam. ( prepped by fabricator)

Than hang the joist with framing connectors as normal -

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Youbetcha.

That's the way it should be done.

Please note "prepped by fabricator".

Very important point.

Nobody should go drilling holes in the webbing of an I beam without consulting the structural engineer.

Ed. Williams

Comment

Thanks guys. We had 2 metal beams that the joists spaned between. Then joists from the beams to a wall. So there was alot of drilling and bolting to do, and a pile of hangers to nail. The holes were already in the I beam, so I didn't have to drill them.

Comment

Bolting 2X inside the flanges of the I-beam works. Just make sure that the faces of the 2X protrude from the I-beam about a 1/4" so that the joist hangers do not contact the I-beam. If the joist hangers are allowed to touch the I-beam you run the risk of noise whenever someone walks over the I-Beam from the 2 metal surfaces rubbing agaist each other. Start with the 2X and then add what you need behind the 2X to achive the 1/4". We sometimes have to rip some waste siding or subfloor to act as a spacer. I have had my share of noises when using the joist hangers that have the flange that goes over the top of the I-Beam or using the regular joist hangers and allowing them to touch the I-beam. Much easier to build it right than to try and fix a noise problem later.

Comment

Working...
              X