Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Terre Hooks Guest

Default Slab on metal decking

I had asked a question on a couple of other forums about costs and didn't get squat....Here's what I came up with......

I am building a slab above grade, poured on metal deck, for my new garage/shop/bed/bath addtion. The major part will be 24x40. I have some costs associated with this for those who care.

The foundation will be a standard 12"x24" concrete footing poured with 3-4kpsi mix with (2) #5 continuous bars and cross bars at 24" o.c. On this will be 8" block except on the back wall - it will be 12" block to counteract kinetic energy from a 6000# vehicle from stopping abruptly.

For the structural steel part - I will use an 8" deep wide flange beam resting on block piers and the middle of the block wall. I will use bar joists spanning 12' on 5' centers to support the 24 gauge Tensilvent 75 metal decking from Wheeling Corrugated.

Why do this you ask? Otherwise, haul 122 cubic yards, more or less, of gravel and compact in 6" lifts. This would work out to about the same in costs, except I live where the metal decking is manufactured and there are a few bar joist plants here-and I know a couple people that work at each one.

Costs.......The beams are around 520# at a cost of $450/ton....about $125. The bar joist weigh 53# apiece and are about $400/ton and I need 18....about $200. The metal decking is $75/square and I need 10 squares....$750 (I say hogwash on this price....I will squabble) but it looks like a retail total for $1200 plus 20% for miscellaneous items such as bearing plates, angle iron for bridging and such... for a total of about $1600.

I think that it would have cost me about $1800 for the gravel dumped out of the truck. The associated welding and other labor for this will be by me and other non-payed help.

This slab is designed for a 12,000 lb wheel weight (enough to park 2 Suburbans) and 4,000 lb of what I was told "my other junk". I am sure that I will be the coolest cat around, for a little while anyway.

Tom Guest

Default Re: Slab on metal decking

Terre, building out of the box is always a good thing. People get stuck in a rut and think of only a few standard tired ol ways to solve problems. Your "commercial method" answer seems to have worked fine in your case, maybe others may see it being applicable in situations they might encounter..

Terre Hooks Guest

Thanks, Tom. Not bad for some 30 year old adding on to the house he built 5-1/2 years ago, huh?

I also try to achieve a compromise between the way a home builder would go and overbuilding. I hate to see work done by these homebuilders that go the cheap way and their houses appraise for way too much because a woman thinks it's cute.

I also try to avoid wasting earth's resources. I ain't a tree hugger, but covering up a bunch of gravel with concrete is wasteful.

Ross K Guest

I think a little imagination goes a long way. I like the sound of your project. It sounds different. Keep it up.

rk

Ross K Guest

I think a little imagination goes a long way. I like the sound of your project. It sounds different. Keep it up.

rk

Kelly Guest

Terre:

Describe that metal decking you are pouring your concrete over. $75/square sounds pretty reasonable to me if it's what I have seen used for "pan pours". Hell, I pay that for 24 gauge Galvalume metal roofing material.

And what is the design of your concrete mix for that slab?

CX

PS: Huggin' a tree now and then ain't necessarily a bad thing.

Dunk Guest

In my early days as a commercial carpenter, we poured a lot of concrete ceilings/floors..super good systems, I think these systems are very adaptable to housing...but not many people go beyond what they have been doing decade in decade out...this could easily be a pre-cast system, brought in craned in place..that would be a sensible direction to go in for future housing...oh yeah,and I am talking to no one in particular here, why is it these days that a person who doesn't like the environment isn't villified but the person who prefers not to soil their own nest, is...

I defy any anti environmentalist, given the choice of a clear clean glass of water or a dirty yellow glass of water, to choose the fouled one...so when its really boiled down to each person, we are all environmentalists, its just that some people don't give a **** about other peoples environments and thats the real problem...wow what a tangent from poured concrete floors to philosophy ranting....

Terre Hooks Guest

Kelly:

I am using a corrugated galvanized steel decking-much like the roofing counterpart but is more rigid and is designed for concrete decks (floors, roofs, and my application). It looks like I am going to purchase it from Wheeling Corrugated. This stuff comes off of a truck in the form of one of those coils you see going down the highway. It is rolled through a forming machine and comes out the other end as corrugated material. They cut it to your size.

Seeing how they make the stuff about 6 miles from where I type this and I have to provide truck and trailer, yeah, I think that it high. I also had to chase down an employee in Atlanta, not my hometown, to buy this stuff from them. Yeah, I think it's high.

I am going to use the standard 3kpsi mix. 4kpsi won't cost much more, but it will be stiffer and they will have to add water at the site, so it will turn out weaker than 4k.

Dunk:

I actually thought of using pre-cast concrete, but the costs would probably be outrageous. Well now that I think about it, I will try to locate someone in Birmingham and call.

By the way, i am not against Environmentalists. It's just that most of the time when the media is making a big deal out of it, it's a few folks that do not have a job, just wanting to pretend they live in the woods and want to preserve nature, when they want 15 minutes of fame. Most of the time the media is not going after Corporate America because they employ such large numbers of people-thus providing a huge tax base.

I'm through with politics now.

Mark Beggs Guest

I just laid a suspended garage deck like you're talking about this week. I had a total span of 37'3" which was broke into 3 spans of approximately 12'-3, 13'7", & 10'11" with 2- W12x58 beams. I used the Wheeling's P31LF 20 gauge panel to span in between the 12x58's. P31 is a pan with 3" deep flutes. Reinforcement was #4 12"c-c. Additional falsework was added under the steel decking at midspan consisting of 2x4 wall with verticals spaced 16" c-c. After 28 days the faslework will be removed. No bar joists are required to support the composite concrete and steel floor after 28 days. Cost of the P31 deck is about $2.00/sf. A completed floor like this costs about $8.00 per sf includidng all the engineering, structural steel, deck, falsework, and concrete. It turned out very well and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

Good luck...Mark

Terre Hooks Guest

Well I poured my slab the week after Memorial day. I should have the sheetrockers there next week. I ended up not going with the slab on decking because of the number of unknowns and the scarcity of qualified contractors around here to do it.

I ended up with about $900 in backfilling the area. That was a steal. We backfilled with chert that my backhoe man was getting for free, so he was only charging me $60 a tandem load. I think we put 10 loads in. I put $300 worth of concrete in the 12" blocks-I didn't fill every block, but about 90%. I have a garage slab that everybody gleams at-got the best finisher in town to slick it up. I'm really proud of this monstrosity that is underway. With 10' high garage walls and a 18x8 garage door, full bedroom and bath above this 24x40 garage, people call it "The Hotel".