Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Michael Huff Guest

Default TGI floor joists

My wife and I pruchased a new home that uses TGI floor joists throughout the house. The problem is that these floors make alot of racket. The worst place in the house is the master bedroom where when I get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night I feel like I am going to go through the floor. We asked the builder to repair this, but he said that he does not warranty noisy floors. We have also noticed alot of floor deflection when the floor is loaded. We hired a home inspection who said that there were several problems including the use of too many metal fasterners, a patchwork of subfloor (in some sections the subfloor spans only two joists), no use of bracing sections, etc. We suggested that we hire a structural engineer. We also met with a local jurisdiction building inspector who siad that the code may be violated but again said that you will need a structural engineer. This is getting expensive, the house alone was nearly $800K!. Is there anyplace I can go to get help. The builder is not very cooperative about this situation.

Dick Guest

Default Re: TGI floor joists

What State are you in? Here in California , B & P Code Sec. 7109(a) requires work to be done to minimum industry standards, and what you describe is not up to minimum industry standards. Contact your state contractors' license board, if you have one, and the builder will either have to bring his work up to minimum standards or lose his license.

kcoyner Guest

Truss Joists warranties it's product for as long as you own the home. But, as with most warranties, the installation instructions must be followed. The deflection problem is most likely caused by poor design. When I use Truss Joists, I give them the plan and they engineer the floor system for me. Deflection on a typical floor is 1/360 of the span. I almost always improve this to 1/480 by using 16" O.C. instead of 19.2 or 24" O.C. The inspector you hired was probably correct in blaming the connectors for the noise but the problem isn't the number of connectors rather the incorrect installation of them. Often carpenters not familar with TJIs dont leave 1/4" gap at the joist/beam connection. Another common problem is the not using the proper nails or nail pattern. It sounds to me like the problem is with the craftsmanship or lack there of in the construction of your home. As Dick said, go for the contractor.

piffin Guest

A builder with an attitude like this should never have been entrusted with the construction of an 800K home. He should be delegated to the chicken coop division. He should be saying, "I'm not sure what the cause is but we'll find it and fix it for you"

Mike Sloggatt Guest

For 800k he should be laying padded carpet in front of you when you get up to go the the bathroom at night ...

Seriously though - He needs to correct the condition - It will cost you some money to prove the deficiency - But if you prove your case - HE will be liable for all Expenses you incur... Let him know this through your lawyer -- If he does not agree ask him for his insurance policy carrier & number - Than go for it .

Customer satisfaction should be a major concern of QUALITY builders

MPS-

Michael Huff Guest

We live in Virginia, Northern Virginia to be exact - just outside Washington DC. I talked to the Director of the Farifax County Office which performs residential building inspections last week and he informed me that VA has probably the most lax codes in all 50 states. Nevertheless, he concured with multiple and serious code violations found by our private home inspector. I wonder why these were not picked up by his people before an occupancy permit was issued? The VA style appears to be "buyer beware"! I guess civil proceedings are the only recourse - what a hassle.

My wife and I built a house in Ohio a few years ago before moving to this area and that was alot of fun. This is not fun!

kcoyner Guest

Michael,

I too live in VA and must take exception with the Fairfax mans blanket statement. We are held to pretty high standards here following CABO the way many other localities in our nation do. Just last week I couldn't get a footing inspection because the driveway was not in to the site. How's that for tight inspections?

I worked in Fairfax about 20 yrs ago and found them to be a little lax on code then. The sheer volume of inspections would be enough to make a close inspection never happen. There has been a continuing demand for housing in that area that stretches back 30 yrs or more. There's just no time for complete inspections with the staff they have and the demand for housing. Here, it sometimes takes an hour or more to get through a framing inspection. Loads are calculated, engineered drawings are reviewed, bearing lengths and points are scrutinized, and so on. So I think the Fairfax man should keep his problems up there and not include the rest of the state when discussing construction problems.

Michael Huff Guest

Someone suggested that I call the manufacturers
    representative for TGI floor joists. Who makes
    TGI? I looked on the web and I found TJI and BCI
    but no TGI.

Terry Guest

TJI is a specifc product, made by Truss Joist MacMillan, out of Boise, ID.
    A lot of people use the term TJI as a generic phrase for any manufactured I joist, of which there are a few.
    Tross Joist MacMillan
    1-800-628-3997

or
    www.tjm.com
    Georgia Pacific also makes them
    1-800-BUILD G-P

or
    www.gp.com/build/englumber

Dunk Guest

Michael you may have to pull up the flooring to find the manufacturer. Like Terry said TJI is often used as generic to describe I-joists, the proper generic term. But I doubt whoever the manufacturer is will stand behind a faulty install job. It sounds like you will need quite a costly remedy, but the cost will be borne by your contractor. Unfortunately you will have to use the court system to get this solved. Living in any house whether it be 800k or 125K substandard work is not to be tolerated. I live in Cal, and if this took place here this guy would be begging to fix your house before he'd want your lawyers to have a piece of him.