Are you a subscriber but don’t have an online account?

Register for full online access.

+ Reply to Thread
    Warren Allen Guest

Default Romex in EMT Conduit

Hi,
    Working on a commercial remodel and much of the the existing electrical was is conduit. Lots of j-boxes and straight shots or real easy bends and plenty of room for romex in much of it. Romex all over the job as well. A recent job got hung up as the "lead" insisted romex could NOT be run in conduit and we had to wait on the single wires. Mumbled something about heat build up and not code. I said fine and questioned it no further but am still curious if this is so.

So..Can you run romex safely and to code in conduit? I've seen it and done it but is it right?

Thanks,

Warren

Peter Guest

Default Re: Romex in EMT Conduit

Yes, you can run Romex in conduit. But why would you want to? Romex is a complete wiring method unto itself. It's like running EMT thru rigid conduit. But sometimes you need protection -- for instance you run the Romex across the ceiling but then wan to drop down on the surface of the wall to a receptacle box.
    The Code has provisions for determining the wire fill [40%] and you have to use the widest dimension of the cable for this calculation. Also it requires that the Romex be secured within 8" of the box. This is difficult to do if the Romex is in a conduit. It may be acceptable to the AHJ [Authority Having Jurisdiction = Electric Inspector] to secure the Romex within 8" of where it enters the conduit.
    Also the Romex must be secured with a clamp where it enters the box. This is more of a problem if you want to get technical with it.
    Note that you cannot use Romex outdoors even if inside a conduit so don't even think of such a thing.
    You didn't specify whether the lead is the lead foreman or lead electrician.we had to wait on the single wires" If the job was held up because the wires weren't there on time, this is the fault of whomever should have ordered them in time. The nearest Home Depot will have #12 THHN in stock. Time for a material run.
    ~Peter

Warren Allen Guest

Thanks,

Yes it seems un practical to use it but if in a pinch and it's at your feet I've always done so. Much easier to pull 12ga THHN than 12ga romex around a corner.

I wonder if the 8" rule would apply since the romex is fully contained and un able to be pulled out?

Thanks,

WA

Dan Guest

>>Note that you cannot use Romex outdoors even if inside a conduit so don't even think of such a thing.

ralph koal Guest

i dont think romex can be in emt ...one of the reasons is 334.30-nec-...'shall be secured...at 4 1/2 foot intervals'....the emt will protect...but will not allow for securing...

Peter Guest

OK Dan, I'll clarify.
    Romex to me is the cable with two or three insulated wires and a bare ground wire wrapped in kraft paper and covered with a plastic sheathe.
    UF would be underground feeder and is solid plastic I believe. Romex is a trade name like Kleenex or Band-Aid. Then any power cable, whether it be NMB, SE, UF, gets called "Romex".
    Warren,I wonder if the 8" rule would apply since the romex is fully contained and un able to be pulled out?" I'm not a residential electrician so I don't know what those folks get away with in houses. You would probably be able to secure the "Romex" within 8" of where it enters the conduit. Read Article 336 of the NEC for details.
    ~Peter

Aaron Telian Guest

Warren:
    I've seen it done too, but I'd never do it. Romex is not designed to dissipate heat in a constricted space. It might work fine, but it is going to be derated at least slightly. Might as well do the job right. It's usually simple enough to go pick up some THHN, if I don't have what I need on the wire caddy.
    aaron